Chunking Things

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Got Your Towel??

Today publication of the book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy) is being celebrated worldwide. People everywhere will be holding their towels.

This book, part of six that make up a trilogy (don't ask me, I didn't do it) documents a tongue in cheek ride through the universe made by hapless Englishman Arthur Dent. Originally published in 1979, these books caught the attention of a generation and have been produced for radio, TV, movie and the stage.

In this drama, Ford is quoted as saying "If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is. ..."

So, today is Towel Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day). Wear it around your neck or your waist with pride. And Don't Panic.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Susan said...

Uuuuh. Sorry. Never heard of Towel Day. Is it to celebrate Mr. Towelie? ;)
(Let's get high.)

Unknown said...

Oh Susan, that just makes me sad. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe is a very tongue in cheek science fiction novel. Humorous and still interesting. Arthur Dent is taken away into space in his bathrobe. Kind of a 'fish out of water' plot. You'd like it. And you'd see why people of all ages carried around towels today. spw

Scary Mondays said...

This sounds a little like Dr. Who. Am I right? I think I need to get out more...or read more!

Unknown said...

Lynn,

I'll read your ghost stories, you're going to have to break down and read a few of my favorite sci-fis. H2G2 is a little campy, so like Dr. Who in that way. But it's less a round trip, if you catch my meaning. spw

Susan Shay said...

If you knew everything I haven't read, you'd cry a river. Ü
At least I've heard of Hitchhiker. That should give me at least one point, shouldn't it?

Unknown said...

Susan... they made it into a MOVIE. You had to have heard of it. spw