Chunking Things

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Having the Trees Trimmed

This is the front yard tree BEFORE
The new house has four big Live Oak trees on the lot.  One in the front, and three in the back yard.

Around here, we've been cautioned about helping our trees survive hurricane winds.  Apparently, the secret to having the trees survive storms is to keep them trimmed.  Folks who know what they are doing keep the big limbs clear of 'suckers' and the leaves and greenery out toward the tips of the limbs.  They also make sure the limbs won't scrape into each other.  Most loss of tree limbs is from the limbs banging together then shearing off.

I like the trees.  I like the shade.  I wanted to take care of them and make sure the first big wind doesn't take them out.  So I called a couple of tree guys recommended by the Texas Agricultural Extension office.  What an eye opener!  Apparently, trees are a very lucrative business.  These guys wanted to charge A Lot.  That eliminated them from my consideration.

This is the front yard tree AFTER
Then I just asked around.  "Who do YOU use to trim your trees?" I got a name and gave him a call.  It took him a couple of weeks to work me into his busy social schedule, but he finally came by and gave me an estimate.  We agreed on the price and scheduled a time for him to do the work.

He estimated a day's work for each tree.  He showed up with a truck and trailer, a ladder, a helper and his climbing gear.  Each time he determined that a limb needed to come off, he checked with me to make sure I agreed with his decision.  I told him, "I'm all about the shade!"  His rejoinder was, "I'm all about the trees."  I really trusted him.

This is Allen up in one of the trees.  He's about three stories up.  He worked from the ground, then a tall ladder, then climbed the tree.  He was thorough and methodical.

I took pictures throughout the process and each time I stepped out, he checked to make sure I still was pleased with the progress.

I was.  He did a great job.

When you look up now, you can see through the limbs up to the canopy without a lot of interior growth.  It allows the breezes to blow through but keeps all the shade.

His biggest challenge was one of the trees in the back yard.  It is close to the neighborhood electrical supply lines.  When the electric company comes through, they scalp the vegetation away in a parallel with a brush hog.  It caused the tree to grow very crooked.  Kind of overbalanced away from the electric lines.  He fretted over that tree, standing on the roof and debating with his helper how to reshape it so it would grow correctly.  I think he did wonderful job.  It looks a lot better now.

I am very pleased with Allen's work.  I think the trees look great and will flourish in the coming years.  I will keep Allen's Tree Experts business card.  In another five years, I'm sure I will be calling him again.

--  Sandee Wagner

1 comment:

alexa said...

Nice! Now hopefully your house will not have any branches land on it!