Chunking Things

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Come Visit... Bring Peanut Butter

It's official. They don't sell peanut butter in Tunisia.

We're living in a hotel room. Most days, I make noodle soup for lunch. In an effort to inject a little culinary pizazz into my life, I decided to get some bread and make sandwiches once in a while. Thus, the search for peanut butter. Because, what's easier than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? That's American comfort food.

In Tunisia, they love their hazelnut spreads. There are Nutella and other brands of chocolaty goodness sold in jars, tins and buckets generally reserved for paint. They love their nuts. All kinds, salted and smoked. You can buy jars with nuts soaking in honey. Somehow, I expected the nut butters to be available as well. But, not so much.

Finally, after scouring Carrefour today, I have thrown in the towel. I'll have to bring some peanut butter back from the states after our Thanksgiving holiday.

Carrefour was a wild place this Saturday morning. There was a big "Tent Sale" set up in the parking lot. Complete with a DJ blasting techno music loud enough to make your molars ache.

Guess what was in the tent in this Tunisian sidewalk sale?

What usually makes for a sidewalk sale in the states? Flowers? Vegetables? Some kind of seasonal fare that doesn't warrant inside store retail space... In Tunis? Farm animals. That's right. Livestock.

Today was "get your live sheep cheap!" day at Carrefour. The dead giveaway? When I got out of the car in the parking lot, there were three guys walking a live sheep to their car. One guy had one of the sheep's back hooves raised up to the height of his shoulder. So the sheep was limping along on three feet and forced to go where he was pushing it. I didn't know you had to cripple a sheep to steer it.

One of the most fun aspects of "get your live sheep cheap!" day at Carrefour was the parallel marketing. Check out this product placement:

So, the livestock are not meant to be companion animals.

The barbecue pit and bag of charcoal was either a subliminal clue or recommended usage. I'm not sure. Either way, these sheep are not destined to stay fluffy much longer.

I also had no idea that shepherds used techno music to keep their flocks calm.

I know I'm in a culture that loves their mutton. There is more lamb on menus than I'm used to seeing. But comfort food is comfort food. Whatever takes you back to your happy time/place is what you want when things get tough. Who am I to judge? I'm still trying to find some peanut butter.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

Or you should stock up on whole/half/pieces of nuts and make your own peanut butter (or almond butter, or cashew putter, or pecan butter, or...) it's really yummy!

When you get your food processor back, just grind up whatever nut you desire and add a little oil until it comes together--then you have complete control over the salt and sugar content!

Unknown said...

Emm,

I can get the nuts. I need the recipe. But we can't get Canola oil or Peanut oil. I'm guessing you have to add a little of that to any nut butter you make, right? I wonder what I could sub here?? There used to be a Salton Peanut Butter machine available. It might be easier to find one of those than to make it in my food processor. spw

Dizzie Diva said...

Hey San, I've asked a few of my Dutch friends who've vacationed in Tunisia. The Dutch love their peanut-butter as much as Americans. The structure is a bit different (overall they hate Jiff type peanut-butter) and more like that of a home made variety the Kroger's and HEB here sells.
Anyway the dutch brand is called "Calvé Pindakaas" and it is being sold at the Carrefour sometimes.
I was told that somethimes they all of a sudden have a "Foreign Section" for a while where they'll sell American and European foods.
The suggestion is that when you see this happen you stock up.

I personally love Calvé, but Keith really prefers the much smoother Jiff so I am not sure if this is a help.

oh, the jar looks like this: http://www.dutchfoodshop.nl/images/Calve%20Pindakaas%20%20350%20gr..jpg


ps I have a few companies who import Dutch foods to the US with an online website I can order from. Pricey but worth it when you have an 'urge'. Maybe you can ask some expats there, or maybe the ambassy, if there is such a service?

Unknown said...

Emmanuelle,

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for the Dutch equivalent. I am not picky. I like peanut butter and will grind it myself if I have to. Much better to buy the Calve. I've been told there's a whole 'infidel meat' aisle at Carrefour but I have not found it yet. They do have a few shelves of import foods, so you can make oriental or asian at home.

I'll be on the lookout.

I've also been told there are three British import shops that stock peanut butter if I want to pay $20 a jar for it. Much better to smuggle it in in my luggage, I think. spw