Chunking Things

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

RE-Packaging

Have you ever noticed how some packages are so tightly done that you can never actually get the item back in there? The stores are full of mark downs on returned items that can't actually be put back on the shelves and sold as new because they are springing out of the plastic sleeve and have been pushed, shoved and taped into submission.

My sister once decided to find out how the manufacturers managed to get a bottom sheet (that has fitted, elasticized corners) so neatly into a rectangular sleeve. She bought a new sheet and then carefully un-folded it until she could see exactly how they managed to do it. She showed me how it's done too.

She actually de-mystified the process by taking it step by step. Now, when I fold fitted sheets, I always fold them up that way. It doesn't make them into a perfect little rectangle, but it keeps them from spilling all out in my linen closet.

That's how I'm feeling today. We are packing up for a short two week vacation home in the states. We've had to go through our bags, pack what we need for the two weeks, and then pack up all the rest of the stuff so it can be stored.

Luckily, DH has a co-worker who has graciously offered to store our excess baggage at his house. This is most important because we got our 'air shipment' last week and we have an additional 70 lbs of stuff that needs a place to stay.

I think that life is filled with things and processes that we have to 'go through' or organize once in a while. The process of evaluation, analysis and decision making is a good one. We can all learn a lot from this prioritizing. Everything in our lives must sometimes be examined, organized and condensed so it takes up the correct amount of room in our lives.

It's not just stuff that needs to be gone through once in a while.

--Sandee Wagner

9 comments:

Emmylee said...

So very true!!! All of my examining, however, leads me to storage projects. Like two days ago I designed a set of bookshelve/cabinets for our bedroom (very similar to the ones in your room in Tulsa, only with cabinets for our laundry baskets on the bottom and possibly doors on top!). Do you remember about how long it took Daddy to put those together??

Twisted Sister said...

Sandee--
Good idea. I still can't fold sheets right. I need to go through my stuff. Just hard not to be sentimental. My daughter is good at clearing things out.

Marilyn said...

We don't use bottom sheets -- just great big super-wide flat sheets that can be tucked under so far that there's no way they're coming loose. And I "fold" them by, ahem, shoving them into a pillow case. *Hanging head in shame*

Emmy, when you finish your project, would you come here? I'm drowning in stuff and nowhere to put it.

Emmylee said...

Marilyn... it's gonna take me a loooonnnngggg time until I actually get to MAKE them, but if you send me a picture and measurements, I could design something for you!

Unknown said...

Emm,

I don't really remember how long it took him. I've made him build in so many shelves that he's gotten really good at it. He also had Rod Ham teach him a thing or two on that big project in the Humble house. spw

Unknown said...

Meg,

Invite your daughter over to sit and keep you company. Get three boxes, one that says 'donate', one that says 'keep' and one that says 'trash'. Then go through one closet or one set of drawers. Make her keep you honest. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I'm impressed that you use flat sheets. Boot camp cured me of wanting to make hospital corners on any bed. I will go with the elastic corners, myself.

If you can get Emm to help you out, she'll design you a perfect organizational system... she's even got some great idea for jewelry storage. spw

Marilyn said...

My great wish to die with my house clean and organized. It would be the first time in my whole life, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

That's a truly laudable goal. Whenever I go to the Container Store, I see so many lucite organizers... I'm always convinced that if I just buy that one thing... it will take care of me for life!! There's no way I could get that organized, but for some reason, that store really 'speaks to me'. spw