Chunking Things

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Musical Talents

I'm the youngest of eight children. When my oldest sisters started having children, and grandkids were an exciting part of any holiday season, my father encouraged his kids to bring the grandchildren home for Christmas by gifting musical instruments to any children who didn't make the big, family Christmas.

Looking back on that, it seems a little mean spirited, but it was funny at the time. We got phone calls from my sister and you could hear her two kids whaling away in the background playing discordantly. She did make it home for the next Christmas.

Last year, I bought my MN grandkids a 'bag of buggies'. Brightly colored, snap together toys with cartoon like bug bodies. My DIL told me that they still play with them all the times, they love the bag o' buggies. We went to Target today and they had a drum and musical instrument kit with the same buggy theme. I had to buy it.

If I haven't said this before, let me get it out of the way. Both my DILs are saints. They put up with my sons, for one. And they are the best mommas a kid could ever hope to have. My MN DIL told me she didn't mind the musical instruments, she doesn't even hear the noise after a while.

It's a good thing.

I taught my 3 year old grand son to whack the sticks above his head yelling, "one, two, three, four" and then hammer on the drum head yelling "rock on!" It's the cutest thing you've ever seen. My 18 mos old grand daughter has some mad marimba skills too.

It was fun trying to demonstrate rhythm to a couple of kiddos. Especially since I have never been accused of having any for myself. I showed my grandson the ubiquitous "shave and a haircut, two bits" rif and that's about all I've got. For now, the kids are entertained and so am I. Here's hoping my kids don't smother me in my sleep for arming their children with musical instruments.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

I may be wrong, but considering the musical prowess of their father I don't think you'll have to worry about being smothered!!

Unknown said...

Emmylee, seriously, he has some mad music skills. Have you seen the little Einsteins shows? He's addicted and they are all music based. spw