Chunking Things

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sick Babies

When you're staying in someone else's home for an extended period of time (read: homeless) you get exposed to a few of life's little problems.

Last week, my grandson ZJ was a little sick. The fever got high and then he started sounding strange. When his momma looked down his throat, she saw swelling and redness. A trip to the doctor later, and they explained that ZJ had had several cases of strep throat since starting pre-school. His exposure to other kids was limited in Texas because he attended a home day care. Now, he's bringing all the bugs home.

24 hrs on a strong antibiotic later, and he's demonstrably better. But by that time, his sister had been sneezed on, coughed on and drooled on.

Friday she was slowing down and by Saturday morning, burning with fever. Luckily, the pediatric practice they use has Saturday morning office hours. An hour later, the doctor determined to treat Zoey with the same antibiotic that ZJ was on. Zoey's cough is much worse, shaking her little body. But hopefully, she's on the mend.

The outset of this is that Grandee got to have one sick boy home from school for a day, and today is staying home with one sick girl. It's sad, but it's also a treat. You hate to see them suffer, but sick kids will sit in your lap and snuggle. Hey, a grandmother has to take what she can get!

When kids start attending school, they get exposed to all kinds of bugs that didn't circulate in their own homes. It's expected that the first year or so in school will be hard on children without exposure to lots of kids. It's just hard to be there seeing the outcome of that exposure.

I want the kids to get better. I'm hoping that I won't catch what they've got. But either way, I know to go right to the doctor if I start showing symptoms. Right now, I've got a girl to spoil and all day to do it.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Poor babies! Cuddle her for all you're worth!

When our kid got sick during our years away, my mother always wished she could be there, cuddling and babying him. Mom had worked when I was a kid, so my granny took care of my sisters and me when we got sick. I guess Mom felt she'd missed out.

Unknown said...

Thanks Marilyn,

I think it would be great to have a granny to help care for the sick ones. I never had that with my kids. I like to be able to help out some. Of course, now with telecommuting, the kids can often stay home with the babies with no repercussions. spw

MAGolla said...

Oh, I so feel for the little peanuts! Enjoy the snuggling the little ones even though it's in trade for an illness

Zack and Kimmee said...

SUCH an awesome GRANDEE you are... the kids have loved having you there. I will feel terrible if you get what they have, but I'm so thankful that you've been there the last two weeks... helping out, loving on the kids, visiting with us. You have been a pleasure and hopefuly the sicklings won't scare you away from coming back :)

Unknown said...

Magolla,

The little peanuts will survive. They have the best medical care and their parents are super. They will survive this!! spw