Chunking Things

Friday, September 30, 2011

Cat Got Your Tongue


We went to the movies today and saw a romantic comedy. It was really great. While we were in the theater, we perused the movie posters and cardboard cutouts for the upcoming releases.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this one.

Instead of "Puss In Boots", the movie poster says, "Cat In Boots". I'm guessing that there is one of two reasons for this. 1) Puss is not a term that is recognizable for kitty cats in the Arab world; or 2) Puss is considered offensive. Either way, the title of this movie has been changed for release in the Arab world.

One of the reasons that I find this amusing is that the movie is in English, with Arabic subtitles. I'm guessing that throughout the dialog of the movie it will still say "Puss". Based on the Shrek movies, it will say it alot. They could have just replaced that word in the Arabic subtitles, but I guess that wasn't good enough. That's why I'm guessing that it was offensive to some censor somewhere.

In a country where they want you to cover up your shoulders and knees, it shouldn't surprise me that a movie is retitled. But it did.

Before you ask, we saw "Friends with Benefits" and it was really charming. Two Thumbs Up.

--Sandee Wagner

1 comment:

Emmylee said...

HAHA!! They probably don't have the same stories in Dubai as we do... That might have something to do with the change as well!

I can't imagine Antonio Banderas' voice saying "CAT... in BOOTS!"

LOL