Chunking Things

Friday, September 2, 2011

El Dorado

The City of Gold. Something Conquistadors from Spain traveled across continents searching for... also, an unattainable goal. Like good Mexican food half a globe away from Mexico.

In Tunisia, we found a nice Cuban cafe where all the food LOOKED right, but tasted wrong. It was like someone had pictures of popular Mexican and Spanish dishes but no recipes to follow. Or more likely, couldn't get the ingredients that made the food taste authentic. Either way, we ate there because it was good, it just wasn't right.

Today, we walked into Casa Maria in the Green Community in Dubai. It's a small place with just a few tables inside and out. When we first approached the door, it was 1230 and the signage outside said "Open Daily 11:00 am to 10:00 pm". We tugged on the doors, but they were locked. As we walked away scratching our heads, a waitress unlocked the doors and called us back. Apparently, they just forgot to open the doors.

An inauspicious beginning. I'll give you that.

The place was decorated like every Mexican restaurant everywhere, except maybe in Mexico. Exposed wood beams, adobe walls, bright colored paint and lots of hand carved wood furniture. It called to my Texan soul.

We perused the menu, poking excited fingers at our favorites and mulling our choices. Pages of the menu were devoted to explaining the 'terminology' for the unfamiliar. It gave descriptions of all the different types of chiles, the regional foods in Mexico and a biography on the two Mexican chefs who own and run the store. That's right. Authentic food. Right here in our neighborhood.

It was GREAT. I had chicken enchiladas with verde sauce and DH had a beef fajita burrito. Both were tremendous. The guacamole was a little shy of actual avocados, but I'm guessing they are imported just for that dish. All in all, my new favorite restaurant. I give it two thumbs up.

I can't wait to try their fish tacos. Umm... I don't really feel like I've found a lost city of gold, but I do feel like I've found a treasure.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

Emmylee said...

Yay! I'm glad you found some good comfort food :o)

Unknown said...

Emm,

I totally agree. When we got up to leave, I told your dad, "This is my new favorite restaurant". spw

Marilyn said...

A good Mexican restaurant is worth its weight in gold. Give effusive compliments to the owners!

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I know! We overtipped our waitress, sent our praise to the chef and told them we would be back... probably weekly!! spw

alexa said...

Awesome! Finding good Mexican food just makes anyone feel at home.