Chunking Things

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

So Shiny!!

We ran a few errands today. We have a five day weekend to celebrate the end of Ramadan, so Eid Mubarak everyone!

First we went to IKEA for more bookcases, then we went to the DragonMart to see if we could find a step down converter for the electronics. We struck out on the converter, but oh boy did we see some shiny things!

First, we found a temporary display of garden art. Most of these were cast resin, but some were actual marble carvings. DH wanted to buy a pair of these lions to flank our driveway. We don't really have a drive worth flanking, but boy would these be fun to have in South Texas.

Next we happened upon a 'traditional' furniture store. Since I wasn't sure what that meant, I went in with camera raised. Traditional furniture is shiny. Very, VERY shiny. Let me draw your attention to the velvety fabric covering and the shiny buttons. Also, do you see the seat back is in the shape of a heart? And what home decor is not enhanced by precious metals?

But wait, there's more! If gold and blue is not your style, they had all colors and finishes. Maybe you fancy purple velvet and you're the queen of giraffes? They've got it all in this shop. One of the sets had a swan table and the legs of the chair looked feathered. It was oh, so classy.

Perhaps you're in the market for something dignified like a grandfather clock? Six feet of shiny, overblown ornate frou-frou? With ladies strumming lutes seated on the base? Oh, yes. They've got just the ticket for you. Now, as you might imagine, these were high priced decor items. The guy manning the shop was very proud of his glamorous wares. When I pulled out my camera to take pictures, he preened. Like a peacock. Like the lamps flanking the exit. Giant peacock lamps in two finishes. I kid you not. Seven feet tall and finished in living color.

The next shop that caught my eye was selling costume jewelry for that dressy occasion. I'm trying to imagine the dress that allows these necklaces to be pulled off appropriately and all I've got is 'basic black turtleneck'. There were four full windows filled with at least six or eight of these waterfall collars of faux gemstones. All colors and designs. The overriding similarity was the over the top size and scale of the neckwear. It was stunning. DH was not even tempted to go inside and buy me one. Even when I promised to wear it to the USMC ball. Of course, even with my ample bosom, these would have reached my waist. But with a necklace like this, you don't even have to worry about your gown! Who'd notice it anyway?

I know where to go for my shiny stuff. DragonMart.

--Sandee Wagner

3 comments:

Emmylee said...

HAHA, the chairs have crowns!! And don't you think a peacock lamp would look amazing in my living room?

Unknown said...

Emm,

The peacock lamp colors would be tremendous in your master bedroom, just sayin'. spw

Unknown said...

Dude,

I'm going to buy one of those chairs just so my kids have to farkle to see who inherits it... spw