Chunking Things

Friday, August 12, 2011

Eerie Stillness

I know I've done a whole post on how strange I find the effects of Ramadan on the shopping public. But yesterday, it was really hammered home.

I did a whole blog on the beautiful Ibn Battuta Mall. I took pictures of the different areas and spent two whole shopping trips exploring the architecture. During that time, I found the whole mall experience to transcend international boundaries. There are the same types of shops, the same types of goods available for sale. The kiosks in the center of the aisles sell cell phone covers and women step into your way and offer you perfume samples. It's a mall. Like all malls.

Now that I've gone back during Ramadan, I have to say that one thing spooked me. The food court is empty. I've only eaten there twice, but this is one of those food courts that has lots of different restaurant selections and tons of tables. Every time we've gotten food, we've had to stand there with our trays and wait for a table to open up. Tons of selections and lots of people.

During Ramadan, only about 5 of the restaurants were even open. Those that were, only sold food packaged up 'to go'. Most of the ones that had glass barriers in the prep area so you can watch your food being made had temporary barricades or covers erected so nothing could be seen of the food and its preparation. Any practicing Muslim could walk through there and not be exposed to either the sight or smell of food or drink. No one was sitting around the Starbucks drinking coffee. There was black plastic taped up in the Krispy Kreme windows. You could take away a dozen donuts, but you couldn't see them loaded into the box.

It's kind of surreal. There is food. You can eat. Just not here. Not in public.

This food court is one of the places I actually saw groups of teen aged middle easterners doing the 'teen hang out' thing. You see lots of families out in public doing stuff, but this is one of the few places I saw teen aged girls with shopping bags tittering and comparing purchases. It made me feel like some things were universal regardless of zip code.

In the silent rows of chairs, I missed that lively interaction. I missed the families with strollers coaxing toddlers to eat something. It's all still. Quiet. Eerie.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

That seems so strange!! We wandered around the new outlet mall yesterday and I found myself surprised at how "mall-ish" it was... It wasn't just a grouping of outlet stores, it was laid out and planned more like a mall than anything else. And outdoors, with these huge and ugly tent-like things about the walkways...

Unknown said...

Emm,

The mall is a hoppin' place, usually. I think during the month of Ramadan, a lot of stores don't open at all. And apparently, a lot of the true believers just stay home.

The mall was slower moving than usual. Less strollers and shoppers. And the food court was deadness. So weird. I imagine what it would be like during a zombie apocalypse. spw

Emmylee said...

I bet they all sleep during the day--less time to feel hungry!

Unknown said...

Emm,

I'll bet you're right. There are quite a few 'all night' parties being advertised. At the very least, they eat a big Iftar meal, then wake up super early so they can eat breakfast before sunrise. It might make them tired and cranky during the day. spw