Chunking Things

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

OKC Victory Dolls

Congratulations to the new Oklahoma City Victory Dolls!

Each year, they have a sign up period and then a training class for all the women who want to try out the roller derby. This year, my daughter decided to give it a try. These 'Baby Dolls' are coached by the veteran skaters and taught minimum skills and all the rules of flat track skating and banked track play.

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't skate all out for five minutes. Probably after minute one, I wouldn't be able to lift a skate, but these fearless skaters threw themselves into the challenge and worked at all the minimum skills to make the squad.

This picture is from the Baby Doll's last practice. I don't know how many of them passed the skills test and found a spot on the squad, but I do know that they practiced three times a week and put their hearts into the effort.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see a bout.

--Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

Emmylee said...

We ALL passed the test! Every single stinky one of us :o)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad! I would have hated to have said welcome to someone who missed it by a hair! Glad you all made it. Go Baby Doll graduating class!! spw

Marilyn said...

Congrats, Em!

I never could master skating. Heck, there are some who say I never mastered walking. But it always looked like so much fun, watching people who did it well.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

She was so super psyched!! When we chatted about it, I had to fess up that I was never a good roller skater. I was always better on the ice. spw

Marilyn said...

I never even tried ice skating. I figure if I can't manage on wheels, what chance do I have on a thin blade? Considering I've sprained one ankle or the other a total of about twenty times, I'd better keep solid ground under me.

But that is cool for all the Baby Dolls!

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I grew up watching roller derby after school in the afternoons. I had no idea that there had been a comeback until Emm told me about it.

I think it's a great, social way to exercise compete and have fun. Plus BEER!! spw

Anonymous said...

Glad to see this picture - my daughter is a new doll too!