Chunking Things

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Power of Three


I've recently read some "Weather Warden" books by Rachel Caine. One of the characters in the novels is a Djinn. During the exposition of this character, the author paints a reality where in order to get a true answer from a Djinn, you have to ask it three times. They have to tell you the truth if you persist in asking the question three times, but they will deflect and try to distract you from asking it. Interesting setup, really. It made for some good dialog in these books.

As I sit here in Dubai trying to acclimate to my new country, I'm reading a Culture Smart! guidebook on the customs and cultures of the UAE. Again, fascinating reading. But imagine my shock when it started talking about effusive praise and how to act when invited into an Emirati home.

One of the bits of advice given was that the host will demure, so thanks and praise should be restated (honestly) over and over again. The advice was to give at least three offers before giving in. The same type of suggestion was made for accepting or declining food during a large meal. If an Emirati declines, you need to continue to offer... you got it. Three times.

I am really amused by this. The fact that there is actual cultural background for conversational insistence that requires three repetitions is based in Arabic folklore. Or the folklore just represented the customs which are still in use today. Either way, I love it. I love it. I love it.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

HAHA, you could be the tacky American that says "No, no, no" when declining something so that you're covered!

I can't imagine people not getting irritated with that--what does it mean if you accept something on the first offer?

(my capcha word is hyperspa--yes, please!)

Unknown said...

Emm,

Apparently, it gives honor to demure. Like the most revered person is always the last through a door. So demurring is what they do. You've got to keep insisting...

I find it so interesting. Makes me think of the Italian mommas when I was a kid. They kept loading your plate even if you refused... "mange, mange". spw