Chunking Things

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ramadan Mubarak


One of the most consistent comments I've heard from other ex-pats is that travel back to their home countries is mandatory during Ramadan. I moved to Dubai in June. Almost every person I've met through my husband, and his work, mentioned that they were headed out of town to avoid Ramadan.

Since I just got here, that was not really a possibility for me. So, I did a little reading and tried to prepare myself for the festival. Because, you see, to the Muslims, it's a great time of reflection, prayer and introspection.

During the month long observance, Muslims do not allow anything to pass their lips during daylight hours. No cigarettes, no coffee, no water. We are in the middle of the desert and no one is allowed to drink water all day long... it boggles the mind. Since it is 'illegal' according to Islamic law, the businesses who do trade with westerners here in Dubai make few exceptions.

Imagine a mall where the openings to the Starbucks are all pulled down, except for one. That single mall entrance is draped three quarters of the way down with black cloth. You realize you could duck under that barrier and get back to the counter, then sit in the dark and sip your cappuccino. If you wanted to... Basically, the restaurants can serve westerners, but it can not be visible to the public. It's furtive and shadowy.

Imagine going into a movie theater and having the entire snack bar area shut down and unmanned. I was told once that movie theaters make their money on the popcorn, not the movie tickets. Now, when I looked at the closed snack bar, I could only project the lost revenues for the theaters.

The entire month of August is devoted to daylight fasting and evening celebrations. It's a time to feed the poor and celebrate God's blessings by giving and sharing. From what I've heard, most of the deprivations of the daylight hours are broken by large communal meals shared with friends and families. Breaking the fast after sunset is a meal called "Iftar" which is traditionally started with three dates.

During the daylight hours, the fast is supposed to be reflexive time filled with prayer. If you share your Iftar meal with others, it brings extra blessings. So providing a meal so that others can break their fast also blesses you.

I can't imagine going through a whole desert day without drinking a drop of water. No breath mints, no gum. It would be a great hardship. Because of the reality of living among people who are giving up so much, it's considered really bad manners to eat or drink in public. A westerner flaunting food or drink can be called down in public areas. Me? I'll probably stay close to home. There's no reason to slip inside a darkened restaurant and feel criminal for enjoying food and drink when most of the population is fasting. I go through most of my days sipping away at an icy beverage. I'll just do that in the privacy of my own home.

For the better part of the past week, there have been painters doing repair work on the outside of my villa. They've scraped and resurfaced some areas where the paint had bubbled and peeled. Then they sanded and repainted. Each morning, two of these wizened old men rang my doorbell and requested I fill their liter water bottles. I was happy to do so. Watching them out doing manual labor in the 100+ degree heat, who would mind? On the first day of Ramadan, they were out there working away and the doorbell never rang.

It's a very interesting custom. As a Catholic, I'm used to fasting before Mass, foregoing meat on Fridays, and offering up deprivation and suffering. But, I've got to give it to the Muslims who remain constant during a whole month of Ramadan. That's a great deal of sacrifice to offer up to God. It makes me thirsty just thinking about it.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

It would be awful to work outside in the heat and not be able to drink water!! And probably torture to cook or serve food and not be able to eat it...

Yikes!

Marilyn said...

The food, I think, I could ignore okay. But I can't imagine not being able to drink anything all day. The hours I have to be NPO before surgery just about do me in for that reason, and first thing I want when I wake up is ice water.

Unknown said...

Emm,

I can't imagine doing it. Seems like all the outdoor laborers would just stop--or go to 'jungle hours'--but they don't. They keep right on going. But none of them are carrying water bottles. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I know exactly what you mean... the NPO order affects my mind. I probably could go that long without liquids if I wasn't aware of it, but just knowing that I can't makes me more focused on it somehow.

I generally keep a glass of something in my hand all day long... spw

Quran-The Word of God said...

avMuslims fast And since it's a blessed month No amount of heat is a problem, No amount of open temptations are a problem and No amount decreases the "faith" WHY? in love for God, In love ..It's a trainnig ground for the rest of the year that if you can train yourself for 1 month and You can give up "Lawful things ..you can also give up your "sins" and mistakes and God is willing to forgive you ..ONLY if you make the sincere intention and work hard and make Dua (supplications) to God Alone to keep you steadfast then INshAllah (God Willing) you'll see the fruits of your efforts when Ramadan comes the following year.. Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic Lunar Calendar and it is the Most blissful and the MOST important of all ..We as Muslims take ramadan as our guest and then when it passes we wished every single day was Ramadan!

Ramadan is the month in which the Quran was Revealed (the word of God) which was revealed in the 7th century to a man named Muhammad (May God's Peace and blessings be Upon Him) in Makkah (on mount Hira) the Angel Gabrial delivered the message from God to the Prophet's Heart (who was an un lettered man) revealed in Arabic (which the language did not change - while all other languages have changed) And the revealation of Quran is mentioned in both the bible and the Torah (Quran is still the same down to it's each and every single word as it was rvealed over 1400 years ago While other books revealed to other Prophets have been changed such as the Bible and the Torah.

For More imfo: please visit -
www.thedeenshow.com

If you want to listen to Word+Translation+Explanation of God (Quran): please visit:
http://farhathashmi.com/english-tafsir/

Have a great day! :)

Unknown said...

Dear Sandee,

I was googling for images for Ramadan when I stumbled across one that was here on your blog. I transitioned to Islam a couple of years ago from my Methodist upbringing. Faith has always been central to my life and beliefs and even as a Christian, I had respect and appreciation for other religious traditions and observances, especially fasting and prayer. I really appreciate your care and respect for those Muslims around you who were fasting and for seeming to "go with the flow" living in an area where seeing food and drink during fasting hours are not allowed. Some people looking from the outside of Islam respect the fasting and these situations - like you - but others are not able to look more deeply at the experience. Thank you.
I experienced my first fasting for Ramadan as a Christian actually - when I was a student minister and finishing up seminary. I did it as an act of solidarity. It wasn't easy and I didn't fast the entire length of the fast - sunrise to sunset - but I still began to glean some of the blessings Ramadan had for my Muslim friends - I felt them too.
Later, when I embraced the path of Islam fully and had my first Ramadan as a Muslim, God made it easier for me and I couldn't believe I was able to go long summer hours without food or drink!
But you are right - the blessings that come with breaking fast with others are true blessings. The thanksgiving you feel for those drops of water and the sweet dates and the gratefulness to the one providing them are a true miracle of the heart. You can see from the inside out why God chose this month for fasting and blessings and all that can be gained in the discipline, observation, and experience. Alhamdulillah! Thanks be to God!

Thank you Sandee, I pray for your strength of iman (faith) and that Allah Subhan wa ta ala (God - Glory be to Him) will guide your path and bring you closer to Him always. Ameen.