Chunking Things

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Herd of Camels

We went to the movies today. On the way out of the neighborhood, we saw some animals in a previously empty field. They were pretty far off from the road, but when I really looked, I could tell they were young camels. A herd of them.
We pulled the car over to the side of the road so I could take some pictures. I don't have much of a long distance lens, but I tried to zoom in as much as I could. I'll bet there were more than thirty of them. I didn't see a tender of any kind. They were behind a fence and back from the road on the other side of ditch. There is some kind of drainage or pipeline project along this stretch of road.
This was a fun surprise for us. When we got back from the movie, they were gone... that field was as empty as it has been for the past four months. Maybe camels are migratory animals? --Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Our neighbors up here on the hill have horses, cows, miniature donkeys, emus and llamas, and I once ran across an ostrich while walking down the road. I think camels would make a nice addition. Of course, I'd need two baby camlets, since one would get lonely all by herself. Hm . . .

Unknown said...

You should definitely get some camels, Marilyn. They like the dry weather!! spw

Marilyn said...

Wonder how if they do in the cold? The ceilings in my living room and bedroom are plenty tall enough if I had to bring them in for winter, but I'm thinking he'd have a tough time house-training them. :)

Unknown said...

I hear they spit... so probably not easy to housetrain. I have seen them tethered to wheels to draw water from wells. They took one up and down a staircase, so I think they are smart enough to train.

Emmylee said...

BABY CAMELS!!! So neat, I wonder where they went...

Unknown said...

Emm,

I'm hoping they went back to their normal facilities. There was a bunch of them and they all looked young and small. It was really interesting. spw