Chunking Things

Friday, October 28, 2011

Brunch at the Atlantis

We went out with a group of work folks to a brunch at the resort Atlantis on the tip of the Palm Jumeirah.
It's a pretty impressive hotel and conference center.  We had reservations at Saffron for the Friday brunch buffet, which is a pretty big deal.  It cost a lot, but it was all you could eat and drink, bar drinks included.

So, you can imagine that the wine was poured and a good time was had by all participants.  It's very nice to meet the people that your significant other speaks about on a daily basis.  I like being able to put names with faces.  It's a lively group.  I'm hoping that they decide to get out monthly.  It would give me something to look forward to.

We pulled up and valet parked the car and walked into a foyer.  We entered the conference center wing, not the main lobby, so I don't know what that looked like.  This small entry way was stunning.
The 'under the sea' theme is apparent in every aspect of this building.  From the color of the marble underfoot, to each and every piece of art on the walls.

I was especially impressed by the ceiling murals and the light fixtures.  Really a very interesting mix of form and function.

The restaurant was nothing special, but we did have a table on the patio overlooking a huge pool area.  It was a tremendous feed.

I've been told that the aquarium at the Atlantis is worth seeing, so we'll have to go back another time to see that and the Dolphinarium.

The exterior of the building has shell shaped finials and fretwork everywhere.  Nautilus shells and other organic forms topped all the crenelations and rooflines.  Very pretty.

The landscaping was beach exotic and included the obligatory palm trees and some interesting specimens.  The California folks might be used to seeing Birds of Paradise this big, but I found them a little startling.  DH is six feet tall and these plants towered over him.  They were sheltered by the hotel, but on the ocean side of the property.

This is a touristy destination for Dubai.  There were buses full of folks off loading and on loading, so I think it must be part of some tour packages.  We only walked into the restaurant and directly back out to our car, so I didn't see much of the inside, just the outside of the buildings.

I liked everything about the place.  The colors were peaceful and relaxing.
 
The light fixtures were amazing.  Too many styles to adequately document.  Suffice it to say, there were shells and jellyfish, squids and mollusks aplenty.

I'd like to say it was schmaltzy and the "under the sea" theme from the Little Mermaid danced through my head, but it wasn't and it didn't.

It's high class and gorgeous.  I'm going to need another couple of trips out there to check out the whole place.  One of the gals at brunch today said she took her family out there for a four day weekend.  There are some good deals, apparently.  Even though it's only a few minutes from their home, she said it felt like a great vacation.

Maybe I should book us a couple of nights there so I can adequately explore all there is to see... under the sea.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Wow. Love that ceiling with the shells and all the color. I'd be walking around like a goober, bumping into things because I didn't know where to look first.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Nothing says 'tourist' quite like walking around goggling at the architecture! I'm at risk of walking into walls. Bert's grabbed my elbow on more than one occasion. Come visit us! There's going to be a direct flight from DFW in February. spw

Emmylee said...

so pretty!

Unknown said...

Emm,

Even the food was lovely! It's an all out luxury resort. spw

Marilyn said...

I'm at risk of walking into (and off of) stuff even under normal circumstances. Bob's threatened to put a leash on me. :)

February, hmm? Away from cold, snow and ice . . . sounds good . . .

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

You should come see us! We'd love to have you. The last week of February is off the schedule because we are planning a trip to Rome, but other than that, consider the guest room yours. spw