Chunking Things

Friday, March 2, 2012

New Toy!

Each Friday, we start our weekend with some exercise.  Today, we went to the beach so DH could paddle in his Fenn Swordfish.  I generally sit on the beach, soak up some sun, enjoy the waves crashing and listen to an audio book while he paddles.  Today was no different.

DH has been diligent about paddling.  He used the club loaner boat for the first six months, then we bought him the new boat for Christmas.  When DH went into the club to rinse off his Swordfish and put it in the racks, he saw a notice for a used boat for sale.  It was the entry level trainer, a couple years old, and very inexpensive.

We chatted about it, called the seller and made the deal.  There are a couple of nicks and dings that need to be filled and sanded, but it's seaworthy.  Best of all, we can now go paddling together!

Here's my sweet ride.  I can't wait to try it out.  I'm sure it will be a tough learning curve.  It took DH weeks to get where he could paddle a while before tipping over.  I've heard that women have 'lower centers of gravity' but I'm sure I'll be getting wet.  Regardless, the price was right and now we can share this great exercise.

The surf ski will be racked in the same club space as DH's Swordfish.  It's a little lower in the grid, but still requires a ladder to get up and down.  I'm not sure I'll be able to rack it on my own.  It takes upper body strength AND balance.  When I took this picture, my back was against the wall  of the enclosure.  You have to back the boat down without whacking your neighboring boats or the wall.  All while standing on a ladder. Luckily DH has had some experience since his in on the top row.

When we go out paddling for the first time, I'll take some pictures and post them.  For now, we are off to Rome for a five day vacation.

--  Sandee Wagner



5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Cool toy, Sandee!!

And have fun in Rome. Ah, I'm feeling a big jealous. :)

Twisted Sister said...

Enjoy your vacation in Rome! Wow..

There are some inexpensive waterproof cameras. The pixs will be so cool from sea level!!!

Love your new toy.

Emmylee said...

Maybe you should save the photo op until you're less "tippy"!!

I think this is great and I'm so glad you get to do this with Daddy!

Love you guys!

Bob said...

Marilyn and I can fly into Naples or Rome or the UAE pretty much anytime you and Bert want to meet up for a vacation.

We're ready! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! We just got back from Rome and it was a great 5 days. I'll blog about it so you can live vicariously through my posts...

We'll get the new toy wet tomorrow. Then DH will do a little maintenance on the dings. I'll wait on pictures until I'm a little more stable. I don't think I'll buy a waterproof camera unless I get REALLY good.