Chunking Things

Monday, December 10, 2012

Pleasant Weekends

My #2 son and his family live outside of Minneapolis, MN in a suburb on the edge of farmland.  It's a lovely neighborhood and a great house in which to raise a family.  They love the area.  We've taken to referring to them as the SnoWagners because of the weather up there.

This weekend, my son texted me a message including a picture.  He said they were about halfway through their first blizzard of the season and the snow was almost a foot deep.

Great for sledding.  I'm sure.  But, brrr.  It just looks cold, doesn't it?

My DH and I were sitting on our back patio, enjoying the 80 degree weather.  So, I took a picture of my husband firing up the grill for dinner.

I emailed it to my son, telling him this is how the blizzard looked in Houston.  We were actually expecting some rain to push through and drop our temperature about 20 or 30 degrees.

It does get cold here, just not that often.

Well, my son has a great sense of humor.  He saw the picture of his shorts-clad  dad standing by the grill with a spatula in hand.  And he had his lovely wife take a picture of him in the same pose.

The contrast is pretty amazing.  I love the fact that he pulled a pair of khaki shorts over his long pants so he could have the 'shorts-clad by the grill holding a spatula' pose down perfectly.

I laughed until I cried.  These guys crack me up.

It's all about perspective, isn't it?  We all thought we were having a pleasant weekend.  My son and his family loved watching the snow dump onto their deck and couldn't wait to go sledding.  My husband and I loved sitting in the hot tub and grilling some burgers outside.  You know, we both enjoyed our weekends.

I will say that I am glad to be in the 50 degree temps instead of covered in snow.  I know you just have to have the right clothing, but really, I don't like to be cold.

Probably while they are enjoying a "White Christmas" I will feel a little misty and wish we could have cooler weather, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

--  Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

TAM said...

Y'all are funny.

MAGolla said...

Ah, but drinking champagne in the hot tub with the soft flakes falling around you is pretty fun, though it's been a few years since we had that type of snow in T-town.

Unknown said...

Magolla!! It does sound like a great idea. And I did buy a case of Spumanti at a wine tasting last month... but I don't see it snowing in Humble any time soon. I love sitting in the hot tub when it's cold outside. Very nice. spw

Marilyn said...

Brrr. I dream of tropical heat . . .

Love looking at snow. Don't want it within a hundred miles of me. There aren't enough clothes in the world to keep me warm.

alexa said...

That was fun! I too was chuckling as I took his picture. You will also be glad to know that right now it is currently 7 out with a windchill of -15 :) Gotta love the frozen tundra!

JakeW said...

As for hottubs in the cold, I'm totally in. I just want to figure where this is and make it happen: http://runninginheels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Ranga.jpg

Unknown said...

Jacob,

I'm totally IN. Seeing the Northern Lights is on my Bucket List. I'd love to find out where this is and make it happen. Above the Arctic Circle, probably. spw