Chunking Things

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Kitchen Countertops

Stain! and Countertops!
 Well it took them a couple of days to stain all the cabinets, then coat them with a couple of layers of clear coat (shellac? laquer?)

All I can tell you is that it was stinky.  We picked Sherwin-Williams Burnished Walnut in the hopes that it would look good and blend with all our other furniture.  It turned out pretty well.  I think the cabinetry looks good dark.  There is still that soffit to be dealt with, but that is an ongoing discussion.  There will be a change--if they can't come up with anything else, they will remake the uppers.
Yesterday, the countertop guys showed up and did the install of the new Silestone countertops.  What an enormous amount of work!!

Those guys worked non-stop all day.  They did all the kitchen counters, the backsplash on the island and the bar top.

The color is called Platinum White.  It's hard to tell in my photos, but some of the chips in that surface are mirrors and reflect the light.  It's the first time this crew had installed this type of Silestone.  They kept petting it and saying, "shiny".  Which was exactly why I picked it!

I made all the decisions on this remodel.  DH has been working a new job and kept saying, "whatever you think is best" when I offered him choices.  So this is really all me, when it comes to selections.  I didn't have any choices on the layout or design--but all the finishes were my choice.  If it looks like crap--it's on me.

Last night, when we were admiring the countertops, DH stroked the smooth surface and said, "I should never ask you how much this cost, should I?"  He is such a smart man.  It is one of the reasons I love him.

--  Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


I was in our Home Depot the other day and was looking at some Silestone countertops for a kitchen remo. They had about 50 different colors available and really good prices.

Are you putting Silestone on the bathroom sinks?

Did you get all moved in?

Anonymous said...


When you build your oasis on your back patio, it needs to have a desert motif. Sand. Palm trees. Camels. Etc.