Chunking Things

Monday, August 25, 2014

You Can't Always Get What You Want

I guess I need to work on my communication skills.  I'm sure I didn't make myself clear.

The original kitchen had a soffit above the kitchen cabinets.  I instructed the contractor to take it out and told the cabinet maker that I wanted the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling.  I wanted ALL that space for storage.

They asked, "Don't you want some space to put decorative stuff?"  I said no.  No area to dust, to place to put forgotten stuff.  Just all in cabinet storage.

And this is what I get.

Looks like a soffit, doesn't it?  The guy called it 'trim moulding'.  Just the finishing touch.

I asked the carpenter why.  Why when I asked for the cabinets to go all the way to the ceiling did he do this?

His explanation was pretty simple.  I asked for a pantry to be built to the right of the doorway.



You can see it here with a worker doing some painting next to it.  That unit was built as a single cabinet and had to be 'stood up' into the place.  Because it had to clear the ceiling, it could only be so tall.

That one cabinet determined his line for all the rest of the cabinets, they could only be that tall.

I really want to lay down and cry.  I would not have minded if that pantry was two separate cabinets sitting on each other.  Then it wouldn't have had to be 'stood up' and I could have had full height cabinets.  So disappointed.  I spent a lot of money and did not get what I wanted.

But I'm pretty sure it's too late to get any kind of recompense.  The things are built, after all.  I really wish I had been able to draw a picture of what I wanted... some kind of plan so I knew what to expect.  I would have pitched hard to have it the other way--but it truly is too late to get what I want.

--  Sandee Wagner





8 comments:

TAM said...

Well hell

Unknown said...

That about sums it up. At this point, I just want it done and everyone gone and out of my house. The furniture will be delivered this Thursday. Tons of work still in progress.

Anonymous said...

Bummer.

They could have done a much better job on the kitchen cabinets.

So I'm assuming those people won't be invited to the Moscow Mule party, huh?

Have you bought all the booze for the party yet?

Where's the purple sofa going to go?

alexa said...

Well that is just plain sucky. I would not be happy either.

Unknown said...

UPDATE: I spoke to my general contractor today and told her that I was unhappy. I reminded her that I specified that the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. She said she wanted me to be happy. She called the cabinet maker and they came up with a way to add flip up doors to the top. I think they may even be glass fronted with light behind. More photos later!!

Unknown said...

Purple sofa goes in the sunken living room. I have not bought the booze for the party yet... still trying to determine who I will invite. I really only know two people in Beaumont.

Anonymous said...


After the movers get everything unloaded tomorrow, you'll have to scatter a bunch of purple peacock feathers all over the house to help 'feather your nest'.

Any plans to move back to Dubai in the future?

Emmylee said...

Oh, I'm glad they figured a way to make the cabinets flip for you, I would have been PISSED if I were you...