Chunking Things

Friday, January 22, 2010

Aging and the Little Things

As I get older, I'm finding it a bit more difficult to do things that were mindless in my youth. Like brushing my teeth. Now, don't get me wrong, I still brush my teeth but I am having issues.

In the TV commercials, beautiful people stand upright staring at their oh-so-perfect reflections in the mirror while they carefully brush their gorgeous veneers. There is never a splatter of toothpaste foam around their lips or across that gleaming surface. Often, they drag their tongues across their pearly whites and voila!--done brushing teeth.

In my real life, I bend over the sink, getting as close to the bowl as possible, to capture all the drooling foam. If I stand upright, the mirror becomes so dotted with spray that I end up getting the Windex out daily. So, to eliminate the mess, I lean over the bowl and try to contain the mess.

Enter the glories of aging. I'm growing bone spurs in my spine. I'm told they are rather common and "no big deal". In fact, the doctor who told me this was very kind. I'd complained that my walking daily was being affected by the pain in my lower back. He held my hand, like a confidante, and said, "you're not a walker, you're a swimmer!"

Now, if he'd written a prescription for swimming, I might have a swim-spa in my backyard that I could write off my taxes, but since he didn't my walking for exercise has fallen by the wayside. It's hard to keep doing something that hurts so very much.

Which brings me back to brushing my teeth. Leaning down over the sink has become an agony. My stupid electric toothbrush has a two minute timed run and I can hardly stay bent over long enough for it to stop. If I try standing upright, the mirror becomes leopard spotted as I try to keep my lips locked around the shaft of that spinning brush head.

Am I actually giving up or giving in if I brush my teeth in the shower? I'm just sayin'.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Brush in the shower 4tw!!1! Seriously, though - being pain free is far more important than perception. If it hurts to lean and brush and you hate cleaning the mirror - then leave the brush in the shower.

Unknown said...

Ha! DH has always bushed his teeth in the shower... and ZJ found some interesting uses for a toothbrush in the bath, didn't he?? spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

Agree! Brush teeth in the shower... it's awesome, even though it doesn't do great things to your electric toothbrush battery - I'm just saying!

Emmylee said...

I have to agree on this one... brushing in the shower is the way to go! I did it for a long time, but since my hair dries out with daily washings, it was too big of a hassle for me to retrieve my brush.

Unknown said...

You guys make me laugh. I wonder why I don't think brushing in the shower is sanitary?? Is it because there is no way to store the brushes in an upright and clean condition? Every time I kick Bert's toothbrush and pick it up, I think, "gross, that's been on the floor."