Chunking Things

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where's The Love, NPR?

While I was running errands yesterday, my car radio was tuned to NPR. I listen to public radio a lot. I used to send them money every year, I was a 'subscriber' or supporter. Then came their coverage of the war in Iraq and my colonel put his foot down. He got pretty angry at the one-sided, left leaning coverage and withdrew financial support.

But I still listen. I guess I'm stealing from them. I get angry every once in a while, but mostly I'm addicted to Science Fridays and a few other shows.

Yesterday, they were interviewing Bill Gates on the aid his foundation has provided to Haiti during this crisis. First, let me preface this by saying, you can believe what you like about Bill Gates--I used to tell everyone he was the anti-Christ because I am a Linux supporter--but you can't fault his philanthropic activities. His money and Warren Buffet's have been combined into a self sustaining fund that gives out over 3 Billion dollars a year in grants and aid. Yes, you heard that right 3 BILLION.

This foundation has made some profound choices. They looked at the studies. When they realized that in developing nations, as health and wellness improved, then women chose to have fewer children--they decided not to focus on birth control in developing nations. They focus on health. Knowing that as health improves, women themselves limit the number of children they have. The foundation has taken some hits from the press. Some folks think they should focus more on different areas. The foundation is focusing on malaria and AIDS research, trying to fund the scientists who will develop a vaccine. Anyone who can do research knows that more people die from malaria and other assorted 'bad water' borne illnesses than AIDS each year. In my humble opinion, the foundation is picking their battles and funding what they can.

They have medical care givers and stores of medical supplies warehoused for disasters. They are 'quick responders' to situations like the Haiti earthquake. So imagine my surprise when this NPR interviewer started taking Bill Gates to task for his decisions on where to spend his money. One of the current programs includes $30 million dollars in grants to point-of-service medical devices. The foundation is funding technology that will help caregivers provide medical assistance in third world countries. That seems like a really good idea to me. But this NPR reporter wasn't giving Bill the benefit of the doubt.

Really? This man and his foundation give out 3 Billion dollars a year in aid and you want to argue with where the foundation chooses to invest? Are you nuts? I wonder if there is another single foundation on the face of the earth giving back to this extent in these financial times??

I talk back to my radio sometimes. In my car or in my kitchen, sometimes I yell at it. Yesterday, they probably heard me across the street. NPR really missed the mark on this one.

--Sandee Wagner

No comments: