Chunking Things

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dubai For The Win


My DH has to attend a couple of meetings over the next few weeks. The first one is a four day meeting in Dubai. Since things are still sketchy in Tunis, he decided not to leave me behind. So, here I sit in a hotel room in Dubai.

I never thought much about hotels before.

Before I lived in hotels for four months of my life.

Now I have sincere and deeply founded opinions about what makes a good hotel. A year ago, I had no opinion about hotel mattresses. If you asked me, I would say, "You only ever sleep on them for a couple of nights, so what?" But my life is not about sleeping on a hotel mattress for 'a couple of nights' anymore. Nowadays, I stay for weeks at a time in tiny hotel rooms and I find I am emphatically opposed to hard mattresses.

We stayed in a hotel in Paris for two weeks. The mattress was 6" from top to bottom. Like a futon. Really. Hard like a brick. I thought I would be crippled for life before I got back to my own bed.

Now, here I sit in Dubai, less than a week later. The mattress is marginally better. But still not like my bed at home.

So, what's a girl to do about a hurting back with no end in sight to forced closeness with a hard mattress? That's right. Spa Day.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the resort spa here in Le Meridien. I'm having a massage. That's right. A decadent, two hour long extravagance. I'm going to pay too much money in the wild hopes that I will get some relief.

Wish me luck.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

I love palapas. I want one in my yard. I actually took tons of pictures of them in Coz to see if that could be my spring 2011 project.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

We actually watched them redo the thatch on one in Cancun while we were there. I think you could do it. But they also sell umbrellas that 'look' like palapas if you want to cheat. spw