Chunking Things

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Regency Romance Walk


I only had a limited time to visit London with DH. He was willing to see whatever I wanted to see on our sightseeing day. I searched the web, took recommendations from my sisters and fretted over the tube stations and our possible routes into the city. What to see? You cannot see it all in a single day, so what were the primary sights I wanted to see?

I started to think it over and I realized that my idea of London is really based on the fiction I've read about the city. When I narrowed it down to that, I ended up thinking only of Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper and Regency Romances. After a quick look at the map, I decided on the Regency Romance Walking tour of London.

We took the subway down to Green Park. In most Regencies, the hero and heroine walk in Green Park and ride in Hyde Park. A quick look at the map showed that in addition to those two parks being close, St. James Park and Buckingham Palace were all in the same area. So, that's where we started. We skirted St. James Park and walked through Green Park. There are tree shaded walks, gentle hills and on a rainy February, very little traffic.

Green Park is the smallest of the three parks and Buckingham Palace sits right on one of the corners of the park.
I didn't see the queen. I didn't stand around and wait for the changing of the guards. There didn't seem to be a point to it... it was raining. It was cold. We kept moving.

I had to explain to DH why I wanted to walk through these parks and a little about the books I'd read that featured these parks as settings. As I chatted about them, I looked around the paths and imagined the characters strolling, flying kites or witnessing balloon ascensions.

When we got to Hyde Park, it was a completely different feeling. Where Green Park is shaded walks with narrow trails for strolling, Hyde Park is big open green spaces. You can imagine horses galloping in the early morning and carriages filled with ladies and gentlemen parading around during the fashionable hours of the afternoon.

After touring the parks, I dragged DH along the roads in town, looking for street names I recognized. I found Oxford, Brook, Bond, and Germyn Streets; Berkeley Square and Grosvenor Square.

I painted a verbal picture of the dandies shopping along Bond Street. It didn't surprise me that Bond Street is still a big shopping district. Oxford Street still has plenty of traffic and is lined by high end businesses and glamorous store front shops.

While I walked through all these streets, trying to imagine what they looked like during Regency times, it was fun to see what they were like to today's society. These are vital parts of the London landscape filled with commerce and trade.

Walking down one street, I happened upon a jewelry store that advertised that they'd been in continuous business since Regency times. The windows were filled with jewelry that could very possibly have dated from that time. It was stunning. Stones of all colors, fitted into elaborate settings that included necklaces, bracelets, earrings and broaches. There were hair combs, hat pins and tiaras. All of them had that weight and presence that you don't get in today's mass produced stuff.

I was charmed by my Regency Romance walking tour of London. Even chilled, damp and tired, I'm still glad we were able to do so much in one day's visit. And I can only thank DH for being patient with me, and being such a good sport. Of course, now he thinks he knows the plot of every Regency Romance ever written. It will take a little while for me to live this down--but it was worth it.

--Sandee Wagner

9 comments:

Susan said...

I went to Europe on a school tour when I was 21. The first afternoon we were in London, my two friends from Tulsa and I decided to go on the Underground someplace. (I forget where.)
So we go down, I step on the train and the doors close. (Friends are still at the station.)
Then the silly train went the wrong way.
I decided that, since England is an island, I could just stay on and it would eventually get where I was going. I thought it was logical. LOL.
Sadly, the train parked for the night. A man mentioned that it wasn't going any farther and put me on the right train to where I'd originally been heading.
BUT my friends were worried sick and waiting back where we started out, so I grabbed a policeman and told him he HAD TO TAKE ME BACK WHERE I BELONGED. (I was hoping for Oklahoma, but I only got back to the original station.)
Did I mention I'm from a VERY small town world in Oklahoma???
LOL. I'm so glad I survived.

Emmylee said...

Oh, I wished you'd taken a pic of the hair combs--they're my new favorite hair accessory!

Unknown said...

Susan,

I can just see a young OK school girl doing that very thing! I was very careful to check the maps, validate which direction we should be heading and make the statement "worst case, we go one station the wrong way, bail out and change platforms." spw

Unknown said...

Emm,

Why should you be tormented with something you'll never own?

I'll look for some cheaper knockoffs and get you some. I love combs too. spw

Marilyn said...

What fun. I've never been particularly interested in visiting London, but I think a romance literary tour of the place would be charming. Lord knows, I've read six zillion books set there!

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Probably having a tour guide with a known itinerary would have improved the experience. But I'm always willing to just walk around and see what I can see. spw

Melanie Jade said...

I love this post! My husband and I are planning our trip to London, and that's exactly what I want - a Regency romance novel tour! Thank you for posting your experience!
-Melanie :)

Unknown said...

Melanie Jade,

First, thanks for stopping by. Mostly I hear from friends and family, it's kind of nice to get a comment from another reader.

I hope you can put together a great trip to London. We schlepped around and I found streets (Bruton Street is in all the novels, isn't it?) I recognized, saw a bunch of the town houses I imagined featured in books, and totally lost myself in Kew Gardens. I really think you can put your OWN Regency Romance tour together with a map and some subway rides. Good luck and if you blog your experiences, be sure and tag me so I can read about YOUR trip. spw

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm originally from a small town in Oklahoma too. I enjoyed reading your blog. (I was looking for a bus our of Regency London when I came across it.) I am going to London in the next few months, and I thought that you might have a tour company! (The bus tour that I went on last year left much to be desired.) Good luck on the tube next time and thanks for a lovely story. (Note: So sad that there are no possibility of vouchers for Almack's anymore!)

McAlester Lady