Chunking Things

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Welcome Charles!


A new baby brother was born yesterday afternoon. Dad wore his 'sympathy belly' t-shirt to the hospital, hoping to give the labor and delivery nurses a laugh. I'm sure they were entertained.

Will and Carolyn were so excited to finally get to meet the baby that mommy had been talking about. Charles was born 9 lbs, 8 oz and 20 inches long.

A big boy. And getting born is hard work, so when we went to the hospital, he slept the whole time.

Will passed the time playing games on his dad's iPhone. Every few minutes, he'd run over and check the bassinet to see if Charles' eyes were open. Every time the baby kicked his legs, Will was sure that he was finally waking up.

But Charles slept on.

Carolyn is a momma's girl and she was so excited to see her. Carolyn crawled up into the hospital bed to give her mom a kiss, then reassured, she inspected the whole room in great detail.

She charmed the nursing staff with her 'big sister' shirt that sparkled. She also tried very hard to say "Charles". It was adorable. Other than trying to poke him, she was very pleased with the new baby. I'm not sure if she realizes he's an actual boy and not a play toy yet. That will come with time.

Like all newborns, Charles was wrapped up tightly in blankets. A regular 'baby burrito' to quote my son. I couldn't wait to get my hands on him. Who made the rule about 'never bother a sleeping baby'? I want to smack them. Charles slept the whole time we were at the hospital and I never got to hold him at all.

Mom, dad and Charles are due back from the hospital today. I'm sure they'll be glad to sleep in their own beds and get some routine back into their lives. I'm hoping that I'll get a chance to cuddle that little bundle of joy.

The camera is prepped with new batteries and I'm all set to take some more pictures!

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Zack and Kimmee said...

YAY, thank you for this... and please share additional pictures when you get them!

MAGolla said...

I love 'baby burritos'! My hubby was awesome at swaddling tightly--we had a happy baby because of it!

Unknown said...

Z&K,

I am NOT the photographer that Lexi is. Holding out for her photos will probably be for the best.

Unknown said...

Magolla,

It's funny. We were just talking about this at the breakfast table. Their oldest, Will, wanted nothing to do with swaddling and they stopped after the first day or two. Carolyn loved and and they kept her tightly wrapped for weeks. Same with Charles, he really likes it.