Chunking Things

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Empowerment by Chainsaw

I have a close friend, let's call her "Marilyn", who always talks about her acreage and having to chainsaw downed trees.  She's pretty much a Southern belle, and while I can envision her frying chicken and fixing mint juleps on the veranda, I've never been able to envision her running a chainsaw.  They're just so deadly.

I worked with a guy who pull started his chainsaw right into his chin...very ugly wound.  Very common in the ERs.  I have a great respect for cutting tools, and cutting tools with power?  Even more respect.

Last week, I had a crew of professionals climb and cut the trees in my back yard.  They are all professionally pruned and shaped and I'm hoping in a few years, my backyard shade will have fully recovered from the ice storm damage from two years ago.

While standing in the front yard, watching the crew feed all the limbs into the big chipper, the guy offered to (at a price!) trim my little trees in the front yard.  I asked him how he'd suggest doing it, but then turned it down.  Really.  It can be reached without even a ladder, and it's a baby tree.  We ought to be able to do that ourselves, right?

I had to go out into DH's hangar for something, and I saw our small chainsaw.  When I looked at it, I realized it was electric!  Not a pull start gasoline fed beast.  Electric is much more in my realm of possible yard equipment.  I thought about it for a few days and decided I'd try it myself.  I would get out the chainsaw and take down the limbs on the little trees.  I decided to channel Marilyn.

This morning appeared to be temperate and without a lot of wind, so I decided today was the day.  I dragged out the little chainsaw and checked the oil.  Full up.  Then I spent a great deal of time trying to find one of the five hundred extension cords I know we have... I finally found one I could reach and brought it around.  Then I hooked up the chainsaw and pulled the safety and the trigger.  And the little baby purred.

I approached the little Shumard Oaks with a plan.  I was going to try to do the smallest limbs on the smallest tree.  If I had any trouble with the chainsaw, I was going to put it all away and pretend some criminal marred that tree.  It was surprisingly easy to graze off the tiny limbs sprouting out.  I decided to take the first of the lower limbs.  I very gently pressed the chain against the limb and gave it a little pressure.  Then I realized that you had to really force the arm down.  Those arborists made it look so easy!

Since I used a wimpy little electric, I figured the payback was having to give it a little force.  It took me a couple of hours, but I got all three trees trimmed up to the level suggested by the experts.  I'm hoping I didn't kill them, but they are still standing at this time, so that's good news.

It was very empowering to hold a chain saw and brandish it at anyone who approached.  I had a kind of an Ash in "Army of Darkness" moment, thinking, "Alright. Who wants some?"

--Sandee Wagner

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Give me some sugar, baby...

Hail to the king.

Unknown said...

You gotta love Ash. "Thank you for shopping smart at S-Mart." spw

Marilyn said...

Way to go, Sandee!! I'm proud of you!

And didn't you have a great sense of accomplishment when you finished?

I really took pride during our Christmas snow storm in knowing that was MY firewood keeping us snuggly warm.

And I bet your trees look as good as if the pros had done them.

Emmylee said...

Holy crap, all I see in my head any time that I think of you and ANY sort of power tool is the silent but vicious death suffered by the edger in Humble... or was that the weed-whacker?

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I don't think the little trees look like pros tended to them, but they are trimmed. Thanks for reading my homage to you. spw

Unknown said...

Em,

It was the edger I dashed to bits. The chain saw did not suffer the same fate in my hands... but it certainly didn't have the time to drive me to the brink either. spw

Emmylee said...

Well, I have no idea how long it took you to get to the brink... I just remember looking up because it was so quiet and seeing you with the edger above your head right before you dashed it to the ground; then picked it up and did it again!!

I *also* remember you very calmly telling me "Tell you father we need a new edger" as you walked away!

Susan said...

Suggestion: Get your chain sharpened. It makes them work even easier. Or you can get a new chain for the saw.
Sounds like you had fun. I can't get my DH to buy anything but gas powered tools (weed whackers, chain saws, tree saws, etc) and that makes them too heavy for me to lug around.
Poor me. I don't get to have any of the fun. (snork)

Marilyn said...

Sandee, I read everything you post! Thanks for always entertaining me.

Hey, Susan, your hand's not painted on, is it? I bought my own. And my SawsAll, and my trimmers, and my mowers . . .

You're an expert shopper. Go shopping! LOL.

Unknown said...

Susan,

To sharpen that chainsaw would probably cost more than the device did in the beginning. It's a little cheap thing. I like the idea of a new chain better. I'll put the big guy on that right away. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn! You kill me. I really can't imagine you going all crazy on the brush like you do... but SUSAN?? It boggles the mind. Like I said, puddling mint for a julep, yes, chainsaw, no. spw

Marilyn said...

As long as I don't kill me, LOL. I've had a few close calls - when I took the old deck off, I got hit right across the middle of the head with a 12' board, with the 6" nail still in it skinning my nose as it fell. A couple inches back, and at least I'd have an excuse for being so forgetful. And there was the time I cut a limb from a scrub oak, then reached up to pull it down, not knowing it was hung up on another broken limb. The cut limb landed where I wanted it to; the broken limb landed in my face. Ouch.

But I still saw.

Unknown said...

Honestly, Marilyn, if a limb ever hit me in the face, I'd probably have the tree taken out... in my massive rage.

What Em said about the edger is a true, true story. I dashed it to bits. spw

Anonymous said...

Go get chainsaw lessons, just because it is electric doesn't mean it is safer. Our stihl dealer gives lessons,free with purchase, but I am sure they will give you one.

That being said, a small cheap gas one will outperform the electric ones, and are probably safer since you don't have a cord to trip over or cut into.