Chunking Things

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I come from Irish stock.  The story goes that there were three O'Hart brothers, two had some local fame and one left for America "where he will never amount to anything".  Needless to say, my family loves that quote.  It shows up on our family reunion t-shirts (We Will Too Amount To Something!)

My DH spoke at an international aviation conference in Dublin one year and I accompanied him.  I spent the better part of a week, walking around the city of Dublin on my own with a guidebook in my hand.  It's a lovely place.  Grand.  My coloring allowed me to blend in like a native.  I was told that they knew I was American only by my shoes.  It seems that in other countries, they only wear athletic shoes when they are doing something athletic.  Go figure.  If not wearing leather brogans sets me apart, then know me as American.  I'm okay with that.

I'm also a good Catholic school girl.  That means that we learned a little about St. Patrick and what he did for Ireland.  Depending on the order of the nuns teaching you, those snakes might have been metaphorical or actual, but he's still the patron saint of Eire.

I love going to Irish festivals.  I love Celtic knot work in jewelry, art and clothing.  I especially love the music.  The Irish have always been musicians and singers.  Some of the most haunting melodies come from Irish folk music.  I'm going to embrace my heritage and celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  Not by drinking a green beer, because, yuck.  I'm going to turn on some music and imagine the green hills of the island.  And wear leather shoes.  That's right.  I know how to blend.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Susan said...

While having the name Shay (originally O'Shea) doesn't mean I'm Irish (DH is, and has the coloring for it, too) I found out a year or two ago that my dad's maternal grandmother (or great-grandmother) came on the boat from Ireland. McCrackin was the name. There are also cousins who spell it McCracken, but that's the Missouri spellers. This branch spells it with an I. LOL.
I have a son who adores his Irish heritage. He used to take St. Paddy's Day off every year to celebrate.

Unknown said...

How fun! I have to say, I'm much more inclined to celebrate my Scottish antecedents. They have the best whiskey. And men in kilts. spw