Chunking Things

Friday, March 26, 2010

Thankless Jobs

In an effort to ingrain a little ambition in her young children, my sister used to ask them several pithy questions when leaving businesses.  She'd ask, "what do you think a clerk like that makes per hour?" or "how much education do you think she needed to do that job?"  My big sister was always very aware of the multitude of people who have less income or less education than she did.

At the time, I thought she was just filling the airwaves, but her kids have both turned out to be very ambitious and driven.  They want nice things, a nice home, great cars?  They work hard for them.

I went this morning to the lab to have some blood work done.  When my name was called, I followed a harried young woman down a hallway and was directed into a small cubicle cut out in the wall.  Probably less than 6 ft across and about 4 ft deep.  One chair, a trashcan or two and the counter where the phlebotomist kept all her arcane vials and paperwork.

When she turned to me, I gave her my patented spiel.  My veins might look good, but they apparently jump around like crazy because I am not a 'good stick'.  I've only fainted once, but they always want to know that.  She took her time with me.  I hardly noticed the needle piercing my skin and she drew four tubes with little to no fuss or problem.

I was surprised.  I really usually give them a lot more trouble.  Sometimes they have to stick me more than once.  But not this gal.  She did it all on one jab.  I was surprised and very, VERY pleased.  When I stood up to collect my purse and coat, I thanked her.  I told her that she was so gentle and professional and possibly the best draw I'd ever had.  She was stunned mostly speechless.

I left with my throwaway line, "Don't work yourself too hard!" and she assured me that she would not with a big smile on her face.  So this got me to thinking.  How many people thank the folks that hurt them??  For me, it was a matter of degree.  I was prepared for 'the big bad' and avoided all the trauma.  I was gushing with appreciation (and, apparently blood, hence the single stick).

There are a lot of health care workers out there that have to do things to us for our own good.  Sometimes those things are unpleasant, painful or embarrassing.  But they are working toward the greater good for us--the patients.  We need to remember to thank them.  We need to value their efforts on our behalf.

Because, really, how much do you think she gets paid everyday to stand in that tiny box and process patients like an endless flow of cattle?  It can't be enough.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

I had that one turned around on me last night--I had a lady thank me for being competent enough to help her, when she was the one that had no idea what she was actually looking for!! She got cycled through the other employees and pissed them all of by calling them incompetent because they couldn't figure her out... Craziness.

Unknown said...

Well, that doesn't surprise me in the least. Your dad used to send me to the auto parts store to get something. I would walk in and speak out loud the words he had trained me to say. Then the guy behind the parts counter would start asking questions about the car that I had no answer to... I would just ask for the phone and call your dad.

Twisted Sister Meg said...

I do thank people who have helped me, especially those who are in the medical profession.

Unknown said...

Meg,

It doesn't surprise me that you're nice to the medical service people since your lovely Amy is in the biz! spw