Chunking Things

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Command and Control


This is the company's 'command central' at the Golden Tulip Hotel. Here is where the Tunisian contingent are planning the emergency evacuation of Tunis.

I could have shown you the bar or the lobby, but this seems to be more indicative of the seriousness of the matters being discussed. Do we stay or do we go? If we evacuate--is it temporary? Or do we set up operations in a new location? Heavy decisions. I'm glad I don't have to make any of those choices.

All the ex-pat company workers and families are gathering in the hotel, sharing information and telling stories. I've heard folks planning where they'll go, if they go, and who they'll live with. There is a lot of gray matter being expended on contingency planning.

The company folks are busy planning what to do. We have a group of guys headed out to the airport to see if they can catch their scheduled flights out today. We'll know more later. Interesting that they were directed NOT to check out of the hotel. They left their keys here with the guys. That way if they don't get a flight out, we'll still have a hotel room for them to stay in. The front desk is pretty much mobbed with folks looking for places to stay. Things are getting a little dicier.

I wish I knew what was going on out there. What the situation outside the hotel is like? What's happening in the capital?

Our landlord called us last night with the news that someone got into our house. They sent a guard out to watch the place. Am I upset that someone possibly went into our house? Yes. Then I started thinking about it. What are the chances that they unpacked some boxes while they were there??

We are safe. The 'smartest guy in the room' is busy making plans for our continued well being. I feel blessed to be a part of an organization that puts safety first.

More updates later.

--Sandee Wagner

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

The latest news reports here -- about 15 minutes ago -- said things are quiet but tense in Tunis, with the army EVERYWHERE.I hope you guys don't have to evacuate.

I was thinking yesterday that if someone broke into your house, at least some things are packed for easy transport, but I didn't want to say so. Hope there's no damage!

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

It's very tense and there are still some hooligans out there roaming the streets. We ARE being evacuated tomorrow. The company made the decision to pull everyone out. One of the rigs was overrun by armed men and they had to call out the reserves to rescue them. It's bad all over.

DH will check the house in the morning before we leave for the airport... but whatever is damaged or lost is just gone. No worries. It's just stuff. spw

Susan said...

Your attitude is the right one, Sandee. Whatever you might lose, it's just stuff. YOU and Bert are what's important.
Let us know where you are and how you're doing.
So sorry about the stuff going on.

Boy, are you going to have a bunch of stories to tell!

Take care of y'all.

Unknown said...

Susan,

This evening when we were meeting to plot out the logistics of getting everyone to the airport safely, one of the guys said, "this is an historic moment. We are seeing history being made. You'll be telling your grandchildren about this one." I kind of think he's right.

Stuff can be replaced. I'd like to have DH in a safe place away from the gunshots. Continue to keep us in your thoughts and I'll let you guys know when we are clear of the danger. spw

david santos said...

I loved your work!
have a nice weekend.
Peace for your people.
TUNISIA forever!

Cynthia D'Alba said...

You're on my mind. Let's us know how you and your family are doing.

Stay safe

Unknown said...

DavidSantos,

Keep the people of Tunisia in your thoughts and prayers. They need all the help and hope they can get. spw

Unknown said...

Cyndi,

Thanks for thinking of me. I can use all the prayers and positive energy you can throw my way. spw