Chunking Things

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Traveling Light, or The Bug Out Bag


I have gained a new appreciate for disaster preparedness. I've heard other ex-pats talk about their 'bug out bags' but until this latest evacuation from Tunis, I never understood the importance of them.

We are in a small group of people who fled Tunis at the same time. We all had a similar instruction, "pack for three days at the hotel" and we've all realized that we forgot something.

Of course, we can just go shop for what we've forgotten. Unless, like one gal, you forgot your purse and bankcards.

The thing that bothered me the most? Buying more Q-tips. Do you know how many Q-tips I have at my house? It's got to be in the millions. I have bought them at Sam's and got multiple big packs at once. To have to buy more just seems like overkill. But you need what you need.

Before I left the states, I bought makeup. I figured that in Northern Africa, my skin tone might not be common. So I bought three of each of the colors I needed. When I got to Paris, my makeup held out for a week, then I ran out. I've got THREE of these things at home and I had to buy more. It's crazy making.

I managed to get out of Tunis with a relatively well packed bag. When we fled before a wildfire in SoCal year before last, we forgot the 'important papers' file. Had we experienced a loss, we would not have had our insurance companies and numbers. When we left the country this time, we grabbed those papers.

I'm thinking that if you 'stage' a bug out bag, then you have to have multiples of things that you use daily. It seems a waste. But when you throw stuff into a suitcase in a panic, you don't always remember everything. Of course, if you look online, the topic of 'bug out bags' takes on a more menacing connotation. The survivalists keep bags filled with gear you need if you have to live off the land and fend off looters during a post apocalyptic timeframe. I just had to live in a four star hotel for a couple of weeks.

I wonder if it would have been easier just to walk away with a purse and make a conscious decision to buy everything I needed. It would have been less stressful. And frustrating. Need a Q-tip? Buy some. Don't beat yourself up because you forgot to pack them...

I'm not sure how easy it is to 'travel light'. I think if I had been able to pack for a week or ten days, I might have made better travel decisions. Like close toed shoes. Three days at a local hotel is different from two weeks in Paris. The needs are different. But two weeks anywhere is probably the same, packing wise.

Since I'll end up with duplicates, I wonder if I could stage a couple suitcases and leave them packed and ready to go. I wonder if I really want to live anywhere where that seems like a reasonable idea??

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Emmylee said...

I think that living where you do, that having a "bug out bag" prepared is a better idea than worrying about the duplicates. It's all stuff that can be used eventually or is cheap enough to toss when you no longer need the bag... You're in a place (figuratively and literally) where you shouldn't think about it so much--just do it.

Susan said...

You're in Paris, girlie-girl, after escaping with your life.
Buy makeup you can't get back home. Get those close-toed shoes that light up in the dark. (You know you want them.) Splurge on all the Q-Tips you want.
Indulge yourself!
You might not get back to Paris every year.
LY!

Unknown said...

Emmy,

I'm thinking of staging one when I get back to Tunis. Since I already have doubles of all the stuff. Just pack a case and keep it on the ground floor, ready to go.

Thinking is just making my head hurt. We are headed back to Tunis tomorrow. Keep us in your prayers. spw

Unknown said...

Susan,

In the spirit of enjoying Paris (the City of Lights) we are heading out this afternoon to the Eiffel Tower which is lit up at night. I want to climb it at night and see Paris all lit up.

We fly out tomorrow, so this is our last chance to see the whole show. I don't care if it's cold and drizzly, I'm going up!! spw

Marilyn said...

Damn democracy. You give it a toehold, and now it wants the whole continent.

When we lived in the South, we had a hurricane evacuation list handy, with all the must-takes. We only had to evac once, but it came in handy, and made me feel a lot more secure knowing I'd have everything I needed. You might give that a shot.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I really need to create a list... or pack a bag and stage it. The whole time I lived in hurricane country, I never had a kit. Short sited of me. spw