Chunking Things

Monday, January 24, 2011

The Heart of Design

We are staying in the Mercure Hotel in La Defense 5, Paris, France. This is in the heart of Paris' modern business district. The hotel is a small, upscale place that is designed for business travelers who just need a bed and to be conveniently located to their workplace.

When we arrived a week ago, there were three bus loads of Japanese design students being unloaded and checked in. More than 300 but less than 500 at best guess. These are (for the most part) well behaved university students who are here for a 10 day trip to Paris. I quizzed the front desk staff to find out they were design students. But that actually didn't make me feel any better...because these kids are dressing WILD.

This morning, one girl left the hotel and the closest description I can give you to explain her outfit is that she looked like a Christmas tree. I know. It kind of defies description. And I'm a writer, I'm pretty good with words.

I have thought about surreptitously snapping photos of the more bizarre outfits, but it seems a little intrusive. And then posting them on the Internet without that "what not to wear" black bar across their eyes would just be wrong.

One of our dinner companions last night went on a rant. The major crux of his argument is if this is how they dress, what they heck are they going to be designing?? It made me laugh.

So, here in the heart of Paris, where art is king, students of design flock to learn and study. Some need more teaching than others, I'm just sayin'.

--Sandee Wagner

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

We saw an Asian girl in the Houston airport who was dressed kinda like Minnie Mouse on acid. The shoes, honestly, were just like Minnie's (with, like, a 5" platform).

The thing is, I'm not sure people who dress outrageously are particularly creative. Not the ones I've known personally, at least. They're just attention-seekers. {shrug}

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Some of these kids are just whacky. The shoes, the jeans, the jewelry and hair ornaments. And a couple of them are rockin' 80's big hair. Crazy looking crowd for sure.

I wish I'd seen the Minnie Mouse shoes. It would make me rethink snapping pics of strangers. spw

Emmylee said...

One word: FIERCE.

Unknown said...

Emmy,

If they are all fierce, then something is wrong. I think I could take 90% of them, males included. They're kind of an effete lot. spw

Marilyn said...

Meg shot a picture of her. I'll see if we got it on the TS blog albums and let you know.

Emmylee said...

Oh, you fail your Project Runway reference...

Unknown said...

Emm,

I never did like that little guy. I didn't fail the reference. You'd have to see these fresh faced little school girls with their hello kitty bags. Nothing fierce about some of the fashion statements. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Get that picture from Meggie. I would LOVE to see it. spw