Chunking Things

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Online House Hunting

There is a certain comfort in moving BACK to an area you lived in previously.  You already have the lay of the land, as it were.

This time, we are empty nesters.  No worries about school systems.  This opens up a wider variety of neighborhoods than the last time we lived in the area.  Then we were limiting our search to a couple of areas with the best public schools.

So, I'm looking online for houses.  There are two benefits to this.  First, you get an idea of what's available in your price range; and second, you can 'map' any address right back to work and see how far the commute would be.

I know that most of these houses won't be available when I finally get to town and check in with a realtor, but it does allow me to make a few decisions about which areas to househunt.

It's fun.  Most of the listings online have a big array of pictures.  You can refine your search and see lots of cool things.  There are some mansions that look like something out of Architectural Digest!  Fun to see those listings.  I know I'd never get to walk through them.  Visually exploring them is a side benefit of my early search errors.

Now that I know what my delimiters are, it's easier to see only those houses that are 'possibles'.  I will continue to run my searches, and watch what bubbles up to the surface each day.  Until the day I hit town, I will have to do all my shopping online.  But watch out, Houston, we're on our way!

--  Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

TAM said...

Like I said, come home now. Shop now, it's your turn to pick the house... Bert picked the last couple, right?

I'll lend you a car.

Unknown said...

HEY! That's right, it's my turn to find a dream house. Looking online has been interesting. I found an exact copy of our last house (same builder, floorplan, etc.) for sale. It would be fun to buy that one! spw