Chunking Things

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Art and Life

I love the graphic expressions of artists.  I love how photographers see the world through their cameras.  I love how painters can take a white canvas and a hundred dollars worth of paint and create a masterpiece.

It all fascinates me.

Possibly because I have so little artistic ability myself.  Oh, I paint.  My children hang the canvases.  I figure they'll all end up in the Goodwill box some day, but each time I put a canvas on the easel, I am charmed.  It lightens up my mood to slap paint on canvas.

But I know the difference between what I do, and what real artists do.  I can take a coloring book picture and put a stylized design of it on canvas.  And when my grandson's favorite color is orange, I can make sure that painting has a LOT of orange in it to make him happy.

This is not art that lasts.  I wish it would, but I know my limitations.  I use a pallet knife, I don't even know how to use brushes.  What I do isn't art.

I saw something on the internet today that IS art.  It's art in a free form, BIG way.  There's a commercial art guy named Stefan G Bucher (used to do CD covers, now he does mostly books) who has a website called www.dailymonster.comhttp://www.dailymonster.com/.  On this website, the drops ink on the page of a paper and then 'blows' it with a tube of air.  The resulting ink smear is the basis for the 'daily monster'.

Each one of these videos is a short fascinating ride seeing through the eyes of a real artist.  He takes that wild, wingy smear of ink and envisions a monster.  Then he colors it in and we can see it too.  He's published a CD of his first hundred monsters, the videos of their creation.

He even has some short films on YouTube where he talks about being creative, drawing and knowing when you're finished (he suggests signing your name with a stamp, like the old Chinese custom).  He is an artist.  He sees the world through a creative lens.

What Stefan sees proves that his imagination is open and percolating.  I just wish I could put myself in a category with someone like that!

Stefan G Bucher, my hat is off to you and to any other person who doodles on napkins with black ink.  You make my world a better place.

--  Sandee Wagner


No comments: