Chunking Things

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day

We had a GREAT Memorial Day Weekend!  Our bosom buddies, the Burgess', have a house right on Lake Houston.  When we called and invited ourselves over for the weekend, then included some extended family in the invite, they didn't miss a beat.  Like I said, true friends.

DH's sister and her husband and daughter joined in all the fun.  There was a double kayak.  They proved to be good synchronized paddlers.  I guess all that ocean outrigger canoeing was good experience for them.

DH took out the single kayak and ALMOST kept up with the two of them.

In addition to these two boats, the Burgess' also have a 'sailing kayak' which was pretty cool.  It included a foot treadle driven paddle system and seemed to be pretty slick.

Why I didn't manage to capture a picture of that one, I'll never know.  Suffice it to say, it looked pretty cool for a one man sail driven contraption.  I think, if I knew a single thing about handling a sail, that that would have been the boat for me.

What kept everyone entertained for a long, LONG time was the jet ski.

This time last year, almost the whole lake was a dry mud flat.  There's still a lot of growth in previously passable areas.  The jet ski is such a shallow draft that it can skip along the lake and get to most of the areas without worry of getting stranded.  If you know where the sand bars are, you can get around and see quite a bit of the local area.  The main lake was pretty choppy, so we kept to the side inlets.

Of course, no weekend would be complete without lots of good food, companionship and drinking.  We did all of that, too.

We played in the pool.  Enjoyed all the water sports.  Sat around enjoying the view of the lake.  Watched a Texas sunset with a glass of wine in our hands.

On our last night, we lit a fire and sat around it while some of the previous year's fallen limbs were burned to ashes.

Overall, an idyllic experience gifted to us by some very dear friends.  When I count my blessings, the Burgess' count double!!

--  Sandee Wagner







5 comments:

Zack and Kimmee said...

So glad you guys had fun! I sure hope we get to see you soon... you and DH. Those kiddos miss their grands.

Unknown said...

We miss 'em too!! I can't wait to come visit you guys. How do you feel about seeing me but not Grumpy? spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

I'll take what I can get, but hope that Grumpy will come visit us too at some point.

Maybe Zoey's birthday???

alexa said...

How fun! Did y'all have to sell your canoes before coming back?

Unknown said...

Alexa,

We still have the surf skis. We're just waiting for the container to arrive with them. spw