Chunking Things

Friday, May 18, 2012

Love and Hate the Internet

I have a love and hate relationship with the Internet.

On one hand you can find anything!  On the other hand, it might not be in English.

This morning, I found a "no waste" pattern for a hoodie.  In case you have never done any sewing, one of the biggest problems I have with it is the waste of fabric between pieces you cut out.  I even took up quilting just to use up my scraps.

So, the brass ring for me has always been no waste patterns.  There are quite a few for children's clothing and they tend to be blocky, timeless designs.

Today, when I came across a post about a no waste pattern for a hoodie, I was very excited.  When I clicked on the link, the site came up and it included lovely photography, lean clean graphics and a pleasing color scheme.  Unfortunately, it was not in English.  Not only was it not in English, the web browser could not even figure out what language it was to offer a translation.

For the most part, my sewing skills are 'Rambo class'.  I throw myself at a pattern and hack my way through the instructions with a machete between my teeth.  It's not always a pretty sight.  I am not one for whom it all comes easy, and makes sense.  I do not have a chance of taking a pattern in a foreign language and 'figuring it out' on my own.

Which is why I love and hate the Internet.  On the one hand, there's a pattern out there I'm very interested in.  On the other hand, I'll never be able to use it.

--  Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

Google Translate?

Unknown said...

I'm using Google Chrome, so I've got to figure that it's THEIR translate feature that is not available. spw