Chunking Things

Friday, May 11, 2012

So Far Behind...

There are a lot of things I have missed out on in my life.  I have not always been fashion forward.  I've missed out on many social trends.  There are plenty of technological advancements that left me in the dust.

I find myself fascinated with the 'catch up'.

I have logged into Pinterest.  Seems like everyone I know (or know on Facebook) has been doing this for months or years.  I'm very behind the times.

I like the idea of 'saving' links by pinning them.  When you need to find a website that you liked, you can just go back to your 'board' and find the image you pinned.  Easy.

Each time I peruse the website, I look at folks's pinned items in a relative few categories.  I look at gardening, architecture and home decor.  I guess you can tell I'm in the process of buying a home.

Total strangers' pins will show what they have marked as interesting and I see a lot of trends that I might not otherwise identify.  Lots of home decor is based on white spaces or white furniture.  I'm not sure who lives that way.  I'm sure if I put in a white slipcovered couch, it would be grease and dirt smeared in no time.

Lots of people pin pictures of things for their 'dream home', posting it to a board with that name.  As I skim over things, I find myself drawn to other people's aesthetics.  You can click on their pins, go back to their boards and look at all their items pinned to 'dream home'.  Some I like and repin, some (like the white sofas) I can do without.

Today, I was gobsmacked by a post on a 'dream home' board.  The very lovely photo showed built in bunk beds, which are very hot right now.  If it had been a picture of a set, I would never have hesitated, I would have just glossed right by it.  However, the picture was a shot of four sets of built in bunkbeds all decorated in a modern lodge style.  So, eight people in one room is a dream house?  I just don't get that.

I think my dream house would have eight separate bedrooms with en suite baths for each.  I was raised in a large family.  I know what a pain it is to share bedrooms--I did it for seventeen years.  In no way or fashion does a room with four sets of bunk beds feature in my 'dream house'.

It just goes to show that it takes all kinds.  I'm envisioning an only child who wanted brothers and sisters pining for a house full of commotion.  It's the only thing that makes sense.

--  Sandee Wagner

No comments: