Chunking Things

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Check, Please!

One of the things that is different about living overseas is how you're treated in restaurants.

In a US restaurant, most likely there is an expectation that each table will be sat multiple times through the course of the evening.  You've got your early diners, dinner reservations during the peak hours and then late night folks who come in after shows or other events.

In both Tunisia and in the United Arab Emirates, eating out is more of a long term avocation.  There is no speed to the drill.

We have yet to EVER have a check set down on the table, with a 'whenever you're ready, here's your tab' comment.  You have to ASK to get your bill.  Every time.

In Tunisia, they only ever expected to sit the tables a single time in an evening.  Eating out is a long, drawn out affair.  They fully expected us to stick around for hours and hours.  We always seemed to be in a bigger hurry than that.

Dubai appears to have a similar attitude about settling in for the long haul.  You never feel pressured to leave, you are actively encouraged to stay and have one more glass of tea, one more cup of coffee.  Of course, part of that is no free refills, but regardless, it's a much lower stress activity.

I'm getting used to asking for the check.  One of the UK gals told me that as long as a menu was open anywhere on the table, they'll assume you aren't ready to order and keep passing you by.  So from now on, I'm making my selection and closing the menus.  And I'm going to remember to ask, "check, please!"

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

alexa said...

We are fast diners too - mainly because we have little kids so for us, we have to ask for the check 9 times out of ten. The only place we don't is good old Red Robin. Oh to be able to relax and not have to scarf food down! That would be the adjustment for me. One day...

Marilyn said...

There's got to be a happy medium between that and what I see a lot of -- hurry up, eat, get out, we want your table.

What's the ambiance like there? We have a couple of favorite restaurants that we can only go to when the weather's good for sitting on the patio because it's too darn LOUD inside to carry on a conversation. I'd love to have a leisurely meal with no music blasting, no multiple TVs tuned to different sporting events, etc.

Unknown said...

Alexa,

I remember the day, but boy, I have to say I don't have the chops to hang around long enough for people here. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

It's about half and half. Half of the restaurants are quiet, low key places that you can sit and chat and never be bothered. About half of them have giant TVs on every surface all playing sports I don't know the rules of... spw

Marilyn said...

I hate TVs in restaurants, no matter what they're tuned to. Maybe Mom's rule -- dinner at the table, TV off -- is that deeply ingrained.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

My mom's rule was "no singing at the table". I have to admit, I never even hum when I'm putting out the placemats.

I've found that the more hearing loss I experience, the less random TV placement in restaurants and bars affects me. spw