Chunking Things

Saturday, November 5, 2011

There's an App for that

I recently bought a smart phone.  For years, I carried what my kids referred to as 'the Nokia brick'.  I didn't get a flip phone until they were passe.  But when we moved to Dubai, I told DH I wanted a phone that would do 'tethering' so I would never be without Internet access (for months!) again.

So, I marched into phone stores and quizzed the very nice customer service people about the phones, plans and capabilities.  I decided to buy an Android phone, specifically for the tethering capabilities.  I know you can do a lot with the iPhone, but you do have to hack them to get to some of the more useful functionalities.  Also, over here, they are way expensive.  I'm not a hacker.  In fact, if I never had to pull the back off my phone to switch the battery, it would make me happier.  And I'll admit, I'm pretty cheap.  Or conservative, that's it.  I'm conservative.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S, which is a pretty nice all around touch screen phone.  It takes a little getting used to--DH much prefers his Blackberry--but I'm figuring it out little by little.

Between the Android Market and the iPad Store, I've been exposed to a lot of applications, apps for short.  When Apple launched their phones years ago, there were commercials with "there's an app for that!" taglines that I mostly ignored, not having an iPhone.  Now, I find myself listening when folks discuss the apps that are convenient or make things easier for them.

Today, I updated my iPad apps.  Routinely, I just go in and download the updates and bug fixes to the apps that I currently have.  While flipping through to the screen, I passed one called TieSight.  Between the name and the icon, I just wanted to know what it was.  It's an application that uses the built in camera to project an image showing you how to tie your tie correctly.  I was really flabbergasted.  Some programmer spent hours developing this software and is selling it online.  As I scratched my head, all I could think was, "aren't Dads supposed to teach their sons how to tie a tie?"  Are applications going to replace parents?

I'm envisioning an app to show you how to shave, how to shape your eyebrows and pin on a boutonniere.

I'm guessing there's probably an app to teach you how to knit, I KNOW there are apps that walk you through recipes step by step.  So, now life and life lessons become programmatic.  I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing?  If you spend time with your kids, they will learn these things from you.  If a kid doesn't have a good role model, he can still learn these things from apps.  So is that a benefit, kind of a 'it takes a village' mentality, or are parents sidestepping some of the milestones in their kids' lives?

Hard to say, but I'm sure I will continue to be impressed with the apps that are available for sale.  And what they do.

--Sandee Wagner

5 comments:

Susan Shay said...

An app to teach you to knit? Whoa! Now that would be cool! LOL.
I'll have to go check that out.
Love my iPhone. I'm such a geek, I don't know what you mean about hacking something to do something, but I never have to take out my battery. (I don't know why you have to do that either.)
I am THRILLED you're my friend, though. I've learned so much from you! ♥
Susan Shay

Susan Shay said...

Wait. Maybe I'm a dork rather than a geek.

Unknown said...

Susan,

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a 'learn to knit' app. They have everything else, that's for sure.

My phone randomly doesn't power on when I squeeze the on button. If I pop the battery out, then back in, it turns right on. No idea. But it works. DH has to do it with his Blackberry sometimes, which is the only reason I knew to try it. spw

Unknown said...

Susan,

Back in the day, we always argued about whether we were geeks or nerds. We opined that geeks were nerds with social skills.

I'm not sure where dork sets up in that paradigm. spw

Unknown said...

ooohhh, Susan, there's one to learn to crochet...

http://iphone.appstorm.net/roundups/lifestyle-roundups/100-iphone-apps-to-learn-anything-everything/

spw