Chunking Things

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cultural Differences

I know you think I'm going to take the opportunity to wax philosophical about the differences between American and Middle Eastern cultures, but I'm not.

What I'm noticing most is a difference in business climate.  For instance, I'm a big internet shopper.  I always have been.  Since the introduction of the Google search engine, I can count on one hand the number of times I've opened the Yellow Pages.  If I can look it up on the internet, I do so.  If I can email and avoid a phone call, I do so.  This much of technology I have embraced.  A modern business cultural response, I think.

Here in Dubai, fewer of the businesses maintain an internet presence.  I can look things up online, but it's really not the best way to find a vendor or a tradesman.  But I have found a few online.  One of the stores I found online is a specialty fabric store and upholstery shop.  They came highly recommended.  I drove across town and looked over the stock, saw examples of their work--they actually allowed me out on the floor to inspect some works in progress.  Then I went home, made some measurements, sketched a picture of what I wanted and drove back across town to deliver the sketch.  They took my phone number and email address.  They said they'd email me the next day with an estimate.

That was two weeks ago.  Once a week, I've gone online to send them an email query.  "Remember me?  I brought in a sketch.  I'm waiting for my estimate?"  They have yet to respond to an email that I've sent.  I don't know whether to be mad, or not.  I imagine that if I walk back into the shop, they'll be all apologetic and rush around trying to find my sketch and "what ever happened to that estimate?'.  But at some point, I find I just want to take my business elsewhere.  Back to square one... find a good upholsterer and fabric shop.

I've done some quilting to fill my days.  I pieced a king sized quilt out of scraps.  We're not talking keepsake here, or artistic quilt made with gorgeous fabrics that all coordinate and blend.  We're talking old fashioned, simplistic, use up your fabric scraps quilt.  I'm not going to spend my arthritic hands hand-quilting this thing, so I found the local craft/sewing store and went there.  I purchased the batting I need for the quilt and then asked if they knew of any long arm/machine quilters in the area?  Yes.  They had two they could recommend.  They handed me two brochures and I looked them both over.  Then I selected the one with the most reasonable prices and sent her an email.  Nothing.

I waited a week and sent the other gal an email... same response.

If someone doesn't want to answer their emails or do business that way, why print the emails on their brochures?  Just don't include that information.  If I don't have an email address, I'll probably call on the phone.

Either everyone around here has so much business that they can afford to be choosy, or my money doesn't spend as easily as local money does.  I don't know.  I really don't get it.

I have searched out the businesses, I have money to spend and I can't find anyone willing to respond to an emailed query.  It's very frustrating.  I guess I'll have to pick up the phone... geez.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

TAM said...

Phone calls? UGH.

Break with tradition, bend your rules... call 'em. It'll only hurt for a short while, really.

Unknown said...

Tammy,

It's crazy that I don't want to pick up the phone and call... after spending 4.5 hrs online with support and still having the same problem... why don't I think a phone call will HELP??

I'll work it out. I always do. spw

Marilyn said...

Wonder if the email addresses are on there to satisfy the technology expectations of younger/foreign customers, but it's just really not their way of doing business?

Which is still frustrating for someone trying to do business with them, but . . .

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

That's a really good point. They are much more into appearances here than any place I've ever been. If it LOOKS right, then it is right. Very superficial. Maybe that's it. They think their website/brochure needs to include all the things, so they put them in... spw