Chunking Things

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Marines!!

Happy 236th Birthday to the United States Marine Corps

As many of you know, not only am I the daughter of a Marine, but I joined the Marines and married a man who became a Marine.

My entire life has been affected by Marines and those who love them.  Once a year, we take the time to celebrate the founding of the Corps and remember the great history of this premier fighting service.

All over the world, the USMC birthday is celebrated with balls and parties.  This year we didn't get to attend one, but I made sure we were on the mailing list for next year.

If you know someone who served in the Marines, tell him Happy Birthday today.  It's always appropriate.  A handshake and a "Happy Birthday, Marine!" will make their day.

If you have some time, take a few minutes to see the video of the commandant's message on this anniversary of the founding of the United States Marine Corps.  2011 is a historic year, it's 70 years since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and 10 years since the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City.  The Marines have always responded when the nation needed them.  Today's Marines continue that tradition of selfless service.

I am proud to be the daughter of a Marine.  I am proud to be the wife of a Marine.  I am proud that I served as a Marine.  Semper Fidelis and Happy Birthday, one and all.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Emmylee said...

You need a "LIKE" button... sometimes that's all that needs to be said :)

Unknown said...

I like it too! Thanks, Emm. spw

Susan Shay said...

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a Marine. My daddy said I should tell people I wanted to be a Lady Leatherneck.
I didn't grow up to be one, but I'm proud of you for doing it!
So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, one of my two favorite lady leathernecks!
Proud of you!
Ps: Did they have LLNs in Viet Nam?

Unknown said...

Susan,

I'm pretty sure they had WMs in all the engagements since WWI. Female Marines have only just been allowed in war zones in the current engagements though. They have always held combat support roles. Baby steps... I was a PAO, public affairs officer. Photojournalist. Writer, even then! spw