Chunking Things

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Can It Get Better??

When you're an enthusiastic teenager, you can get attached or involved in a character/show/movie and think it's the best thing ever. It becomes your obsession to make sure that everyone you know and love is exposed to this hot item.

That happened to me when I was 17. I went into a Mel Brooks movie and laughed until I hurt. Every time I chatted with a friend at school who hadn't seen the movie, I said, "I'll go see it with you!" I ended up seeing Young Frankenstein in the theaters 10 or 11 times. And I laughed and laughed.

I like movies that are 'big, stupid fun'. I'm not insulted by slapstick humor. I loved the black and white horror movie feel of YF and the stupid jokes just made me snort. I still quote some lines from that movie, and probably not the lines my DH wished I quoted...

Today, I'm going to see the stage musical. This can go one of two ways: I love it as much as the movie; or I hate it. I don't think there is another option. This movie was a huge part of my teenage years. It was one of the huge blockbusters of my time in school.

Nowadays we take a blockbuster hit for granted, because there are so many movies made. But in those days, you might not have a huge movie every year because they didn't release as many films as they do today. I certainly didn't like every movie that was popular at the time. But I liked YF, enough to go see it over and over again.

I'm looking forward to seeing the musical. I'm really wondering how it will be adapted for stage. And if it can get any better?

--Sandee Wagner

12 comments:

Susan Shay said...

I LOVE Young Frankenstein!
"What knockers!"
"Thank you!!!!"

"Where wolf?"
"There wolf."

But a musical? You'll have to let me know how it goes.
Btw: I don't know who anonymous is, but I'm betting it's a guy. Guys are the only people who I've heard say Mars Attacks is their favorite movie. Ever. LOL.

Emmylee said...

An old friends facebook status: "Young Frankenstein was FANTASTIC! I laughed my arse off. Go see it, people!"

Marilyn said...

I loved YF more when it was new than when I watched it a few years back. It's still funny, but not like I remember.

I'm the same way about Blazing Saddles. LOVED it when it was new; can't stay awake through it now.

The idea of a musical YF, though . . . interesting.

Unknown said...

Susan,

All the good lines were in the musical. It was very cute. Really true to the movie, but live! spw

Unknown said...

Emm,

I'd have to agree. I should post it to Fb. I had a wonderful time. Great trip south. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I loved both YF and BS when they were new and I was a kid. They still make me laugh. When you went back and watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show did you still think it was campy fun?? spw

Scary Mondays said...

I love YF. I introduced it to my kids. They love Puttin on the Ritz!

Susan said...

Sandee-
I love Rocky Horror now. I made my stomach hurt when it first came out. I couldn't watch it without feeling as if I were doing something wrong.
I still watched it, but I felt guilty about it.

Marilyn said...

Um, I've never seen Rocky Horror. The closest I ever came was a dance sequence in the Drew Carey show a few years back. I just never got a chance when it was new, and since then . . . I'm just not much of a movie person anymore. I think of all the other things I could be doing . . .

Unknown said...

Lynn/Scary Mondays,

The song Putting On The Ritz obviously played a big part in the musical. We were humming it on our way out to the car! It was super. I hope it comes to Tulsa so ya'll can see it. spw

Unknown said...

Susan,

I can't imagine what it was about RHPS that made you nervous. The men in lingerie? Craziness of the plot? Flashing back to the creepy scientist? It was campy fun when it was released and certainly had a huge following. I guess I never took it seriously enough to work up any guilt for watching it. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

RHPS is one of those movies that I tell people they have to see once... like Army of Darkness. Only about half the people will care for it at all, but those who get the humor will really think it's funny. I like seeing the very young Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick and Tim Curry. Also, Meatloaf is my husband's favorite singer.

We had a friend who bought one of those blow up movie screens and did outdoor movies for the happy hour crowd. RHPS was a huge success. Most of us hadn't seen it in 20 years!! spw