Chunking Things

Monday, June 14, 2010

Thinning Out The Stuff

I wish I was speaking metaphorically, but I'm not. I'm actually going through closets, bookshelves and cabinets and getting rid of things. I'm facing a major relocation and, as is my custom, I'm going through my possessions BEFORE the packers come to make some decisions about what stays and what goes.

It's an interesting process. When we moved from Houston to Tulsa, I didn't own a single thing made from wool or down. I don't think I even owned a pair of gloves. My first winter in Oklahoma cured me of that, right quick. I soon became the proud owner of a great down parka and several pair of color matching gloves. One for every weight of coat...

This time we are heading for the desert for two years, then back to Houston. I'm going through my closets looking for wool clothing, down jackets and all that cold weather gear. There's no reason to hang onto any of it. Well, maybe if I was getting maudlin, I might consider all the good times I had and want to hang on to some memento of my cold weather wear. But mostly, I look at it and think, "there's someone around here who would appreciate a really good coat!"

I'm not really tied to my stuff. I have some little items that were gifted to me by my husband and children, and I could easily pitch them all into a box for GoodWill. I remember the memories of the gift, the gift itself is not a sentimental cache of that feeling. All the tchotchkes could go and I would still remember all the times my husband returned from a foreign country with a little present for me.

The hardest thing for me to part with is books. I have a lot of books. I know I need to keep only SOME of them. I need to thin out the majority of them, but it is so hard. A good book is like a good friend. It's priceless. You want to share it with everyone, while keeping it close to your heart.

I need to really eliminate a lot of the books that I've kept over the years. I need to pare it down to just the essentials. That means, I need to ask myself, "are you really going to read this book again?" with each spine in my hand. Hard to do with my favorite fiction, but pretty easy to do with all those business and leadership texts. The professional library is my husband's pride and joy. But he's a long way from home and this process is going along without him.

I'm thinning out the stuff. I wonder if he'll even miss it?

--Sandee Wagner

8 comments:

Emmylee said...

HMMM... Craig might kill me for this, but we have a completely empty attic. If you find you are unable to part with all the books, you could box them up and we could put them in the attic until you come back to the States!!

Unknown said...

You are the best of all possible children.

Susan said...

What a wonderful daughter! I agree, you're very lucky to have her, Sandee.
Do you have any antiques you want to "dump"? I might help you out with those. Cool junk? I'm your girl.
I love old and rusty.
Birdhouses and feeders would feel right at home at my house.
Anything I can do to help out.
Not promising you'll get any of it back, of course. ;)
We'll miss you SOOOOO much, Sandee.

Unknown said...

Susan,

I don't really 'do' antiques. I think I have three old pieces in my house. And I think they'll make the cut for Algiers. Old and rusty? I need to think on that. I'm sure there's something in the garage that would suit you! LOL!! If you really want to help, take my freakin' dogs. This is so stressful. spw

Emmylee said...

Send me the write-up and pictures about the doggies--I've been asking people around here!

Unknown said...

Emm,

I'm waiting on Sandy San. She took the pics with her digital camera. Mine is in Algiers. spw

Marilyn said...

At least you've got experience at this, Sandee. I think military spouses are the best at thinning.

I'm trying to ditch at least part of my sentimental streak. Don't think it's working. One of Mom's things I asked for was her old yellow dutch oven. It's so beaten and battered that the lid doesn't come close to fitting. But at least in thinning my own stuff a few months ago, I made room for all of her stuff I brought home.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I do keep a few things. I have 'memory pieces' from folks who are important in my life. But I don't keep boxes and boxes of stuff. I don't keep old greeting cards, love letters or paperwork.

I think you're right. The more often you move (like a military wife), the more you unpack all that crap, the more brutal you are in your decision making about what to keep and what to get rid of.

I am finding myself more willing to get rid of books this time. I guess I'm getting a little more realistic in my old age. I no longer think 'he who has the most books wins'. spw