Chunking Things

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Car Repair Blues

I drive a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser. I don't expect much of a vehicle. My list of requirements is very limited. In fact, it's four things:

1. Start every time I turn the key.
2. Stop every time I hit the brakes.
3. Blow cold air.
4. All one color.

In 2007, after moving to the SoCal desert and a drive across the West in July, I noticed a 'very bad thing'. When I was sitting at a light, or idling in a driveway, the car would violently shudder. It shook. Not a noise, but a jolt like the engine was seizing. Very scary. If I turned off the A/C, it never happened. Only when the A/C was on.

So I went into the nearest Chrysler dealer and left my car for repairs. $600 later I had a new computer control unit for the A/C. It drove the rest of the summer with no issues.

The next spring, when I started running the A/C again, what should happen? The exact same shuddering. Instead of the dealership, I took it to a local mechanic that some neighbors recommended. I described the symptoms and left the car. His diagnosis? Blower control motor to the tune of $500. It drove the rest of the summer with no issues.

This spring, I turned on my A/C and after a month or two, started noticing the shudders AGAIN. I was back in Tulsa, back near a mechanic that I trust. I took the PT into Jim's shop and told him the history. I left the car for the day.

He could not make the shudder occur. He completely tested out the A/C system and swore it was all right. I asked him what could cause the car to shake like that. He said, "Truthfully? It sounds like the car is misfiring." I asked what would fix misfiring. He said new spark plugs and wires. "A tune up?" I asked. "That's it." So, I bought $30 worth of plugs and wires and delivered my car to Jim. It took him a little over an hour and he charged me $60.

The shuddering has stopped. I've driven around town for two days and didn't once feel the 'seizing' feel that would catch up with me at every red light. So, this time I think it's actually fixed. Why didn't either of those other mechanics think to check the plugs and wires? It's a mystery to me.

But I will tell you one thing. If this car starts doing that shuddering again? I'm trading it in.

--Sandee Wagner

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

I once had a car that died every time it rained. I was visiting here in Oklahoma and took it to my mom's mechanic. He couldn't find anything wrong and returned the car to me with no bill. I tried to pay him something, but he said he couldn't take my money because he hadn't found the problem.

I once had a mechanic in Okmulgee fix a broken trunk lock for me for free because I was traveling alone with a little one and DH was in the Navy. He said it was the least he could do.

There are good ones out there, but they can be tough to find.

Unknown said...

Anon,

No vehicle shipped overseas. We get a car and driver on the economy. None of the ex-pats are allowed to drive themselves anywhere. It will be interesting.

DH's '69 Mustang will be garaged and driven once a week by Emm. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I know exactly what you mean. When you find a good mechanic--you keep him. You send business his way and try to keep him happy. My guy is a smart aleck and sarcastic as all get out. I laugh at his jokes--even the ones at my expense.

Distributor cap wasn't sealing if the car wouldn't start when it was wet outside. DH had a car like that. So he kept a spare distributor cap in the trunk and swapped it out when it wouldn't start. That is Just Too Much Work for me. spw

Marilyn said...

That is exactly what I found out . . . after three mechanics couldn't fix it. My cousin's boyfriend had had the same problem with his car, so I told the mechanic, and he found a tiny crack in the distributor cap. He replaced it, and we never had another problem.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Bert insists that engines like that are easier to keep running. Because it can ONLY be so many things. I don't have the patience to put up with a vehicle that gets that hinky.

spw

Unknown said...

So, what your car needed was just little tune up then. It’s good to know that it was all that’s needed, and no further issues were detected. Anyway, I hope your car is still in great shape right now. Good day!

Edward Taylor @ Niguel Auto Center

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra! I hope you managed to get things working for you. But if you decided to trade it for a different car, then that’s all good too. No one wants to stick around something they find irritating. Whichever the case was, I hope everything is well with you. Thanks for sharing this with us. Drive safe!


Diana Hayes @ Baldwin Subaru