Chunking Things

Friday, October 15, 2010

Not Just For Christmas

We call them "Christmas decorations" but here in Tunis, they apparently have year long appeal. There's an outdoor bar/restaurant in the Plaza de Corniche hotel that has Christmas lights strung between the palm trees. There are Christmas ornaments suspended all around as normal decor. The star of Bethlehem is an icon that is used a lot in lights. There are those enormous shiny balls that look like tree ornaments on steroids. There are decorated packages and even some reindeer. Sleighs and bells. Icicles. Anything that can be lit up and strung up is hung and lit all year long.

I can only assume that these things are very exotic to most Tunisians.

My DH said that he's heard Christmas carols playing on the radio all different months of the year. Here, they're just songs. Not season specific. Imagine hearing Christmas carols all year long? I think it might ruin them for me. I think since most people don't understand the words, it's just the tune and music that are compelling.

Went to a mall today near the public beach in LaMarsa. The name of the shopping center was Zephyr. We went up the escalator and tried to see all the stores to get an idea of what was available, shopping-wise.

In the middle of the atrium is this:


I took another photo, more close up. Check it out:


These decorations were not put up just for the holidays. These were put up 'for pretty' and have remained up all year.

I've seen a Santa Claus on a ladder in a Health Club window, but I haven't managed to snap a picture of it so far. He's just another smiling fat face around here, he's not relegated to only two months of the year.

Tunisians like shiny objects. Sparkly things. Over the top ornamentation. Most Christmas decor matches that description. I'm guessing that's why it's so popular around here. It's not just for Christmas anymore.

--Sandee Wagner

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

I've left my Christmas tree up until April a few times before (9' tall, right smack in front of the fireplace), so I wouldn't mind the decorations. The music, though . . . I don't like a whole lot of Christmas music, and it drives me nuts to have it on the radio for a month, so that would have me sticking my fingers in my ears.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I'm probably going to continue to see the Christmas decor. I wonder how many of the songs I'll hear. I'm not much of a radio listener and I'm not actually spending much time in cars. Oh well, we'll see, won't we?? spw

Dizzie Diva said...

What does a harem/wedding dress look like? I am getting Disney's Princess Jasmine visuals now...

Talk about culture shock:
Laying on a camel invested beach, zipping a virgin margarita while listening to Rudolph the read nose reindeer...

Unknown said...

Emmanuelle, I need to go back to Zephyr and snap a photo. It was garish. I loved it! If we can get her liquored up, we might get a bride to be to try it on!

I think you are completely getting the strangeness that is Tunisia. Beaches with camels, Christmas decorations, all wrapped up in a third world economy. spw