Chunking Things

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sweets

I have come to the realization that the North Africans LIKE their sweets. Tunisian Tea is very, very sweet. The fruit juices sold and served here would induce diabetic coma in most Americans. And the desserts are amazingly sweet. Portion control is their only saving grace--all these super sweet things come in tiny little packages or slices.

I am a self-admitted Chocoholic. Back in the early 90's, a German coworker introduced me to Nutella and Ferrero Rocher. In case you haven't seen the size of my ass, she did not do me any favors. I love chocolate and the hazelnut creme in the middle of the Ferrero Rocher candies is like the best of nuts and chocolate.

When I moved to Tunis, I entered a whole new world of French cooking. By this, I'm referring to crepes as a breakfast food. The moment I saw crepes with hazelnut spread as a breakfast option, I thought I had finally hit the gourmet lottery. In this--as in so many things--I was sadly wrong.

I ordered the crepes. DH watched as they cooked the thin pancake and rolled the hazelnut spread up in it. He sat down with his cheese filled one and we shared bites with each other. Unfortunately, there is such a thing as 'too sweet'. There is not enough coffee or tea in the world to cut through that much sweet first thing in the morning. I threw in the plastic fork. DH's cheese crepe was definitely the winner in the 'who ordered the best food?' contest.

I'm not sure if it was the amount of chocolately goodness slathered on, or the sweetness of the actual spread used, but it was way too much. Way too sweet.

When we were in the grocery store, DH pointed out the stuff that they used making that crepe. It's sold in these giant tubs.

Now, in this picture you can see a couple of the 'normal' sized Nutella jars. But check out the number of brands, and the sizes of the tubs. They must ladle this stuff onto bread, crepes and cookies. They don't have but a brand or two of peanut butter and it only comes in one or two sizes. But the chocolate and hazelnut spreads come in small to gallon sized tubs. They come in resealable plastic bowls. They come swirled with praline and other flavors. It's an amazing amount of sweet stuff.

I generally have a jar of Nutella in the cupboard. I've been known to throw it away because it goes 'off' before I use it up. Apparently, that does not happen in Tunisian households. They use this stuff in large quantities. Since breakfast crepes are off the list (due to sugar induced loss of consciousness), I've gotta figure out what they are using this spread on. Inquiring minds want to know.

--Sandee Wagner

9 comments:

Marilyn said...

I like Nutella, but considering that I'd rather have a slice of cold pizza for breakfast than anything sweet, I'd have to skip the crepes.

In fact, I'm not sure I've ever put Nutella ON anything. I think I've just eaten a spoon at a time out of the jar.

But I do love the Ferrero Roche. Yumm!

Marilyn said...

Hey, good picture of you in the previous post! Nice to see your smiling face.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

I like Nutella too, but I don't want to buy it in paint can sized jugs. Ever.

The crepes were way too chocolatey, and I wouldn't have thought that such a thing existed prior to that breakfast.

Cold pizza? You and Bert. Blech. I want protein for breakfast. Eggs and meat. spw

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

Thanks for the comment on my picture. Bert took it the other day and it's the only one of me... so I used it. Found out recently that my sisters have finally started reading... so I'll drop in some pictures of us now and again. I sure miss you!! spw

Emmylee said...

I know that German families spread Nutella on toast--and I have to admit it's pretty yummy! Most often myself, I lick it right off the spoon though...

Unknown said...

Emm,

I guess it would be good on toast, I haven't tried that. Right off the spoon is kind of purist for me. I like it on 'brown edge wafers' but those cookies are hard to find in the stores any more. spw

Dizzie Diva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dizzie Diva said...

Staple my Dutch visiting friends always bring for Keith: Nutella. We eat it on bread for breakfast but here are some other reasons I came up with for you so you can justify buying a paint can sized jugs haha ;-)

Because you can't buy a can of ready-made icing there (I think?)I'll give you my muffin topping recipe:

* 13 ounces Nutella
* 12 ounces whipping cream
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Empty Nutella, whipping cream and vanilla extract into the bowl of your mixer, and beat (slowly in the beginning to avoid splatters) on medium-high, scraping sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula occasionally, until you have billowy clouds of chocolate-hazelnut cream.

It is also good to ploink 3 TBSP of Nutella in a pan and mix it with about 1¼ cup of milk and make 'hot coco' like that.
Or take the same ingredients and put it in a blender with some added ice cubs and make a 'shake' that way.

YUM

added: forgot an ingredient

Unknown said...

Emmanuelle,

You are notorious for 'forgetting an ingredient' so no one's recipe ever turns out as good as yours.

I'm glad to have the recipe, I would think that would make a quick icing and only a couple ingredients makes it easy to have as a staple. Thanks! Even though I know you are scotching the recipe by leaving something important out.... spw