Chunking Things

Saturday, October 2, 2010

WalkAbout

Today, we slept in late then decided to walk to the store and pick up a few staples. For a glamorous hotel, they are pretty stingy with the tea bags. So, I figured I'd pick up a box and some bandaids and other items.

We walked a few blocks off to the north, then hung a left and headed inland from the lake toward the MonoPrix. DH said that the MonoPrix was a grocery store and we decided that it would be our best destination. Close and liable to have what we needed.

We stopped for lunch at a food court and had some interesting chicken sandwiches. Imagine pizza dough folded over as the bread on a sandwich. Now imagine grilled chicken and cheese piled up. Then put a full order of fries on the sandwich fixings and close it all up. That's your 'meal deal' here in Tunis. It was a good price, but we could have split one. As it was, neither one of us could finish it and we were both pulling fries off left and right.

We bypassed this eatery but I couldn't help but take a picture of the signage. Why oh why is this not attractive to me? The sign over the restaurant says, "Salon of The Fast Food".



I think 'salon' just means room in French but my connotation is for someplace to get your hair or makeup done. Oh well, if we live here long enough, we'll probably get past the sign and give it a try.

MonoPrix did not have bandaids. We apparently have to go to a pharmacy for that, so we bought our teabags, some fruit and walked back to the hotel. On the way, we were on the lookout for a pharmacy. Instead, we found the upscale shopping district.



Seems like Rodeo Drive, Tunis Style.



We walked around admiring the stuff, but I didn't go inside any of the shops. I'm pretty sure I can tell what I can and can't afford in any language.

--Sandee Wagner

3 comments:

Emmylee said...

And here I would have thought that golden gate would have sucked you right in...!

Unknown said...

Emm,

It's a dangerous place for me. There is so much BLING around here... lots of shiny things everywhere. If I went into every store or shop with a golden gate, I'd never get anything done. spw

Zack and Kimmee said...

The last line of your blog = hilarious! I think you should change the name of your blog, now, though. Thanks for keeping us update.