Chunking Things

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Trashy

I have enjoyed seeing the sights around Tunis. There are some lovely prospects and the views of the Mediterranean are unparalleled in my experience. I think the people of Tunisia have a rare gem in their possession.

Tunis is growing. There are roads being paved and widened all over the metro area. There are buildings being raised and houses being built. Everywhere there is progress. Compared to my most recent experiences, Tunis is more like South Tulsa than North Tulsa. It's growing and expanding.

But there is one thing about this country that is appalling: it's the trash.

I have actually had to take care to frame my pictures to exclude trash in most pictures of the landscape. There is waste and trash everywhere.

As I have walked the blocks around the hotel where I'm living, I see the same piles of refuse day after day. It's obvious that there is no regular cleanup occurring. The only trash pickup seems to be privately contracted and operated.

One Sunday morning, DH and I witnessed two green jumpsuited municipal workers with rolling trash cans walking up the street. They very carefully whisked up dropped cigarette butts and other waste in the street while ignoring trash on the sidewalk next to the curb. We actually joked about walking down the sidewalk kicking all the trash into the gutter so that it'd be picked up the next time they came by.

At one point, I asked what they did with their community service offenders? You don't see any orange jumpsuits--no prisoners--picking up trash. In fact, other than those two guys on that Sunday morning, we've never seen anyone trying to improve the common areas.

I could take more pictures of the refuse. I could document the tragedy of trash in this otherwise lovely, lively community. But I'm trying not to be negative. I'm trying to be upbeat and positive about my adopted homeland.

DH and I discussed our possible actions. I think it's likely that we'll start taking a trashbag on our walks. It can't hurt. It won't make even a tiny dent in the volume of unattractive waste laying about. But it won't hurt. We'll try to leave every place we step a little better off. That's all we can do.

--Sandee Wagner

6 comments:

Scary Mondays said...

Sandee,

See if everyone took a trash bag with them, the place would probably be clean in no time.

I understand about the cleanliness. I've traveled in South America. Not the most "picked up" part of the world. You have step around a lot of crap, literally.

Unknown said...

Lynn,

DH made a funny comment about us picking up trash. He said, "well, we might fill up bags that no one collects." He's got a good point... there's no guarantee that the trash is ever collected. I'm going to have to see if there's a landfill or dump and where it's located. spw

Marilyn said...

You can always sneak the trash bag into the hotel. Surely they cart theirs away??

Susan Shay said...

I'd wear rubber gloves if I were going to pick up strange trash. Just a suggestions.

Unknown said...

Marilyn,

My whole life, my parents have picked up trash outdoors. They did it in every campground, every park, everywhere we'd go. I think she instilled it in my brain.

I hadn't thought about bringing the bag back to the hotel... I need to consider that. spw

Unknown said...

Susan,

Why does the idea of wearing rubber gloves in the desert not appeal to me? I understand the concerns. Especially in light of the possible medical care providers locally.

I should be more concerned. spw