Chunking Things

Monday, October 25, 2010

What Works, What Doesn't

When we decided to make the move to Tunisia, I tried to prepare myself for how different things would be. We talked about living on the economy and getting used to foreign things. But in my naivete, I didn't consider the IP address.

I based a lot of my assumptions on the fact that things would be available to me online. As long as I have high speed Internet, I'm cool! Right? Wrong.

I tried to place an order from www.babiesrus.com last week. A friend from California is having her first baby and the group of friends we made while living there was throwing her a baby shower. I pulled up the registry, placed an order and smiled. There! Just like being there... but missing the cake.

A few minutes later, I received my crappy email from Babies R Us support. They have automatically cancelled my order because it originated from an IP address not in the United States. Really? Ya think? So, I replied back that Yes, the order was placed from Tunisia. And that's where I'll be living, so can they set it so my order will work? It can be shipped in the US to a US address. Nope. No way. They do NOT accept orders from IPs outside the US.

I emailed back and forth with support for the better part of the morning. Then I pulled up the exact same baby items on Amazon and placed the order. They don't seem to have any issues taking my money. Then I told Babies R Us that they lost my trade, that order was placed/accepted and fulfilled by Amazon. They've lost a customer.

In the hotel, all videos are blocked. I'm missing Project Runway. I can't watch Youtube clips or anything. I thought it was the bandwidth here at the hotel. Now, I'm not so sure. It may be an IP address issue. I'd like to be able to view embedded video on Facebook, or go to Youtube and watch the newest funny my family and friends send me links to...

While discussing this difficulty, one of the Scottish gals turned me on to a network where you're provided an UK or US based IP address so that you can watch TV shows and get to these websites. It's a subscription that costs $6.50 a month for a US IP address. It means I'll be able to keep up with Project Runway... so money well spent.

I've signed up and am awaiting the file download. I'll let you know how it works out. Regardless, I won't be ordering stuff from Babies R Us, their customer service sucks.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

That's just stupid. I can't believe they *still* wouldn't accept your order!

But $6.50 a month seems like a good deal if you'll be able to see/do all the things you want online.

Unknown said...

Emm,

The jury is still out on whether or not the ExPat network VPV will be worth $6.50 a month. I installed and and ran it this morning... tried to catch up on my episodes of Project Runway. But no joy. I'm checking with their support to see if it's just my hotel blocking the video. So disappointing!! spw