Chunking Things

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bricorama, Part II


We went back to Bricorama today with someone who speaks French/Arabic. We found some shelves there that we wanted, but they wouldn't fit in our car. To set up delivery, we figured we needed some help, so one of the gals from Bert's office offered to go with us to help translate. We managed to get some shelving for the garage AND to capture the pictures I missed last time.
I wanted to show you the solid concrete, lamb shaped barbecue pit. From the front, it looks like a mild mannered sheep. Then, out the side, WHAM! Slide out grill.

If the irony of barbecuing lamb on a sheep shaped grill hasn't yet tickled your funny bone, then surely the gazelle shaped one will make you laugh. I don't know why someone wants a concrete animal for their garden. DH has always wanted one of those big buffalos, but I've held him off.
A gazelle is an animal that is at home on the African plains, the Serengeti. Why that seems like something to immortalize and put in your backyard is completely beyond my comprehension. But here you see it, almost life sized, in its natural coloring. The artist has gone to great lengths to make sure the detail is right, from the curly horns right down to the tiny hooves. And then WHAM! Slide out grill.
So instead of going to the zoo, or some kind of drive through adventure park, you can enjoy the wildlife right in your own backyard! Plus, if your gazelle is made of concrete, then no animal was harmed in its production, right? I don't know why I find the idea of barbecuing inside the chest cavity of an edible animal funny, but I find it HYSTERICAL...

It appears to me that the Tunisians love cats--there's some cat worship in the ancient religions, and the holdover in North Africa is that cats are like cows in India... no one harms them. Pheasants (yes, those birds were all pheasants--I asked) are birds you can keep in the garden with no fear of 'hunting season' attracting rednecks with shotguns. And noone finds irony in making a cooker in the shape of animals. They appear to not like dogs very much. In the signage department, I found one sign that made me laugh. I'm sure there's a real use for this one, but the "No Weiner Dogs" sign called to me. In case you were wondering, the 5.99 TD is about $4.00 USD. I don't know what other treasures I'll find at Bricorama. I need to not go back until that Chow-Chow puppy is long gone. He's a cutie, and so Norm-like.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Twisted Sister said...

LOL...love the grills.
Don said that was just wrong. Like the no weiner dogs sign.
Thanks for making me laugh.

Unknown said...

Meg,

Thanks for stopping by. I did think it ironic to cook animals in an animal shaped grill. And I'm not a crazy PETA supporter. I can imagine how Home Depot would fare if they added this to their fall collection... and the letters just keep pilin' up!! spw