Chunking Things

Monday, December 6, 2010

Christmas isn't Christmas without a tree...

We spent two weeks in the US for our Thanksgiving holiday and our only trip home this year. My kids laughed at me because I said, "...in my country..." and "...back home..." referring to Tunisia a couple of times. Seriously, this is beginning to feel like home. Even though it's a hotel room, it's still home.

We arrived back in Tunis around the time of the month that I'm usually putting up the Christmas decorations and getting the house all festively arrayed. I won't say I was 'in a funk' but I will say that I planned to be. I've been fretting about Christmas without family and without all the holiday decorations. Seems like it wouldn't be Christmas without a tree and all the go-withs.

We dropped our bags in the hotel room and decided to run out to the grocery store to provision the room with edibles. Needless to say, it's cheaper to buy Diet Cokes at the store than from the mini bar. We bought a few items and planned a foray to Carrefour the next day, after a little rest. Boy, was I jetlagged this time!


When we got to Carrefour on Saturday, what did I see? Christmas Decor! Only two aisles of the stuff--but still--a variety. Now, to put it in perspective, all this is being marketed as "New Year" decorations. The banners outside the store and in that department all said, "Happy New Year" in French. But the store was filled with toys, food, and shoppers. There were even stuffed Santas.


I don't care what they call it. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Since I was facing the holiday in a hotel room without a tree, I told DH that we should look at the little trees with an eye toward decking out the room. We spied a small tree that came with all the decorations and lights. It stood just under three feet tall. I thought it would work on the small desk in the room. The price tag? About $37 in US dollars. We did NOT get that tree. I'm way too cheap for that. I generally buy all my Christmas stuff at the after Christmas mark down specials. Or I wait until the week before Christmas and peruse what's left on the shelves. I don't pay full price even in the states!

What I did end up purchasing was a nested set of two small plastic cones that are battery lit for use as a centerpiece. I'm sure I can find a place to put them when we have all our stuff... and for now, they make the room feel a little more festive.

In the evening, with the lights low, this actually looks kind of magical. In this picture, it looks a little plastic. Oh well. It's enough to keep me from getting pitiful. When you figure two packages stacked on the desk and he and I celebrating alone, it's sufficient.

We've been told that the Golden Tulip Hotel has a huge green Christmas tree fully decked out in their lobby. DH mentioned booking a Christmas lunch or dinner there, and that sounds just fine to me. I won't go expecting turkey and dressing, I'm sure that won't be available. I'm going to try and not have any expectations. Just a nice holiday dinner with my best friend.

--Sandee Wagner

2 comments:

Emmylee said...

OOOOOOH, I want to see those pics too!

I like your little nod to festivity--very much like mine when I first moved out! We're still very subdued in our decorations, but I have plans to create some lawn art a la AMS before next Christmas :o)

Unknown said...

Emmylee,

You should definitely do some superhero/comic book character cutouts for your yard festiveness!! Aren't there some Christmassy cover art you could knock off?? spw