Chunking Things

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Just When You Think It's Safe...

I'm a hugger. I'll admit it. I'm kind of 'touchy feely'. My husband has even warned me that I'm too touchy for actual workplace standards. I own that. I see that not everyone is a hugger like me.

When you move to a new area, where you have no friends and acquaintances, that falls by the wayside. You have to build new relationships to get to the level where you feel comfortable hugging or touching.

But not the Europeans. They've brought touch into brand new meetings. In the US, my friends and I would call it an 'air kiss'. You lean in, press your cheek to their cheek and make kissy noises right at their ear. Any heavily made-up woman has done this at one point or another just to save their lipstick.

The Europeans have adopted this as a greeting, like Americans do handshakes. We reach out our right hand, expecting to have it firmly shaken, and they pull your upper body forward and press cheeks, making kiss-kiss. It takes a little getting used to. Even for a touchy feely person like me.

When I finally got used to it, we met a new guy. A Norwegian.

Now, I am not good at geography. I'd have to pull up a world map to figure out where most of these folks come from... I don't even think I could find Norway on the map without a lot of searching. I know it's north, has some Arctic Circle in its borders so that might help me locate his home.

This guy is urbane. Like a Bond villain. He wears ascot ties and speaks seven different languages. His parents were ex-pats so he was raised all over the world and it shows. He enjoys conversation and fine wine. I like him. He's friendly.

When I 'went in' for my European kiss-kiss, he threw yet another kink into my routine. The Norwegians add a third kiss. That means you push your head to the left, air kiss, right, air kiss, then BACK to the left and do it again. You think that didn't throw me off my game? Well, it did.

At this point, I just want to wrap my arms around his neck and press my body up against him and surprise the snot out of him... Who makes up the rules to these social conventions? I just laughed and he explained to me that the Norwegians add in the third kiss. He smiled and did the cosmopolitan gentleman thing to ease us out of an awkward situation. He's my new best friend.

Yesterday, one of the Americans I met at the embassy ran by to pick something up at my hotel. I ran downstairs and handed off the package and was surprised when she pulled me into a hug. She wished me Merry Christmas and said she'd see me after they get back from their family Christmas celebration in the Alps. Yeah. I know! Skiing in the alps. It's close enough that a family can plan something like that from here. Go figure.

Anyway, as I'm navigating the deep waters of how to get along in North Africa, I'm finding myself struggling to figure out the conventions. When to hug, when to kiss, when to shake hands. DH told me just to shake hands and if they want to air kiss, they'll tug you in. Men never have to balance on high heels, they just don't get it. I don't want to be 'that guy' who isn't friendly, or doesn't give the correct or appropriate greetings. So, I'll continue to try to work this out. Give the Europeans the kiss-kiss, the Americans the hug, and the Norwegian guy the kiss-kiss-kiss.

Try to keep up. There'll be a quiz.

--Sandee Wagner

13 comments:

Emmylee said...

LOL, you know you'd fit right in if you just did your American thing and bear-hugged them all!! Then, it'd be *their* turn to be surprised :-)

Zack and Kimmee said...

ZJ and I do; kiss-kiss-kiss-kiss-KISS. :) I kiss him on each cheek, he kisses me on each cheek, then we kiss each other on the lips. That's what you should have done with that guy... that would have shocked him! LOL

MAGolla said...

BUT you never mentioned how you greet the Tunesians. How do you greet them? Asians bow. Europeans air-kiss. Americans shake hands. And . . . ?

Dizzie Diva said...

The Dutch kiss 3 times too. They don't air-kiss though. I found that only he Americans air-kiss(ok there are exceptions like my germaphobe sister...) They are really the only nation I have heard making those weird fake-kiss noises. Very Real Housewives of Beverly-hills imo.

To me the whole hugging thing was creepy at first; people whom I barely knew where right up against my body in my personal space. Euro style was easier for me: I would only offer my cheek to people I don't knew that well and let them kiss me... Yes I am in touch with my inner-queen ;-p
Now I am used to both. I still am a bit weirded out by the odd noises some people make when they pretend to kiss though. So please fake kiss me in silence!

@Anon: ascots might be a bit old school, but quite common still. My Dad wore them as his 'casual' attire in stead of a tie.
Different culture, different ways. Nothing swashbucklery about it, I wish! In that case he might have left me a few boxes full of old gold that I could then send in to the guys that give me Cash For My Old Gold...

Unknown said...

Emmylee,

Maybe I'd fit in, maybe I'd be ostracized. You never know. I don't want to step on toes, I just want to fit in. spw

Unknown said...

Z&K,

No way can I do to a stranger what you do with your son every night! Besides, he wouldn't even kiss me the last two times I saw him... spw

Unknown said...

Magolla,

The Tunisians just seem to nod. Some shake hands but they don't all lean in and kiss. They seem to wait and see what's comfortable with YOU! Truly a tourist economy. spw

Unknown said...

Dizzie,

I agree about the comfort factor. It's all going to be hard to get used to. I hate not knowing what to do... and that my inclinations will not be well received.

AND I have a hard time not hugging people... spw

Dizzie Diva said...

I get confused about the 'what-to-do' thing too. I have kissed people that wanted hug me and vise versa.
Maybe I should act Tunisian and just nod to people I don't like to have within my personal circle ;-)

Twisted Sister said...

I always find that strange to know when to hug or not.
Love how you're navigating in this new world.
Glad you found a friend. Now if his name is LARGO. . .

Unknown said...

Diz,

I like the idea of just nodding regally. That might work! spw

Unknown said...

Meg,

What is up with LARGO? Is there a Cozumel story that I haven't heard?? Spill. spw

Dizzie Diva said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largo

hmmm... No idea